Monday, November 9, 2015

Dita, Steampunk Witch: Figure 178 or 265

   This week I finished Dita, Steampunk Witch, from the Chronoscope Set.  Only one figure let to do from this set.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
      I began by painting the entire figure, and her base, Black.  I then drybrushed it with Folk Art "Settlers Blue".
     Next, I painted her skin with Americana "Mocha". Then I painted parts of her outfit with Crafter's Edition "African Violet".  I painted her hair with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna", and  the end of her broom with Folk Art "Barnyard Red"
     I then gave her hair, skin, and broom end a wash with Winsor Newton "Peat Brown' Ink using a wet brush.  When that was dry, I painted her eyes and lips, and then did her skin highlights, with first the "Mocha", then I mixed some Crafter's Edition "Flesh" with the "Mocha" and did lighter highlights.   Next, I highlighted her hair with first the base "Burnt Sienna", then with Americana "Burnt Orange", I did highlights on the broom with first the base "Barnyard Red", then with Ameircana "Georgia Clay".   I then used the "Settlers Blue" to add some more specific highlights on the Black.
     Next, I did the highlights on the purple, first with a mix of the "African Violet" and some Apple Barrel "Apple Lavender", then with just the plain "Apple Lavender"
      I then worked on the metal parts, painting them first with Ceramcoat "Bronze", and then going back and doing highlights with Ceramcoat "14K Gold"  I painted the round object on her hat like a headlight, using Folk Art "Medium Grey", Folk Art "Silver Sterling", and White highlights.  I also added tiny White highlights to her goggles.
      After the figure had the afternoon to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" in the evening.  The next morning I flocked the base, and later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.
    I'm pleased with how the figure turned out, even though I didn't get it finished for Halloween. I did notice in the photos, that I didn't do good coverage with the Dullcote, and there's still some shiny spots in her clothing folds and recesses.  I'll have to ht it again with the Dullcote tomorrow.


  1. This is a figure that sounds like a neat idea but I just don't like the execution of the actual model. That said you did a great job making her look good.

    1. Thanks!
      I agree with your assessment. I can't say it's one of my favorites either.