Thursday, June 4, 2015

Large Water Elemental: Bones II Figure

  This week I also completed the Large Water Elemental from the Bones II Water Elementals Add-On Option.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.   I then glued the figure to a 2" brown-primed (It was brown because it was left over from another project and was the only washer I had on hand that would fit this large figure.) fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue. I didn't need to glue the washer to a tongue depressor as it was big enough to hold easily in my hand while painting.
     I began by giving the whole figure a wash with Iron Wind Metals "Deep Turquoise" ink applied liberally with a very wet brush.
     When the ink was dry, I drybrushed the entire figure with Americana "Salem Blue".
     I then dry brushed the figure with White, trying mainly to hit the edges and tips of the waves.
     After the figure had overnight to dry,  I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Gloss" Varnish.  When this was dry, I flocked the base.  I let the flock dry, and then I painted some of the DuraClear Gloss" Varnish on the flock immediately around the figure to give the impression of a wet area on the ground around the elemental.
    I'm really pleased with how this figure turned out.  I think the watery look really comes across.

8 comments:

  1. Nice sculpt and coloring job, sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree that the sculpt really captures the dynamic movement of water.

      Delete
  2. Very nice. That's easily on par with the Pathfinder Battles one from a few years ago, and so few steps for such nice results. It's crazy how much that ink shifted the color of the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really put a lot of the ink on and it is a nice deep green-blue. It made the perfect deep water color.




      Delete
  3. Hi Chris

    Do you do commissions ?
    Like, if i sent the same water elemental your way, will you paint it the same way for a fee ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan- thanks for the offer; I'm flattered. But I barely have enough time to paint my own minis, and a huge backlog to boot. So I'm going to have to say no.

      Delete
  4. Hi Chris, Did you prime your mini at all?

    I am unable to get Vallejo paint or ink to adhere to the surface at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I primed a few when I first started painting them, but I haven't primed my Bones the last couple years. I have found the key for me is to let them soak overnight in a dish of water with a few drops of liquid dish detergent added to it. Then give them a scrub with a soft toothbrush, rinse, and let them dry. I also like to give some a pre-coat of thinned Reaper Liner; but that is more to help me see the details on the stark white figure than it is to serve as any true primer. I highly recommend this article on the Reaper Forum for a comprehensive look at prepping Bones for painting: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/

      Delete