Monday, October 27, 2014

Kavorgh, Orc Warboss: Figure 120 of 265

This week I painted Kavorgh, Orc Warboss from the BBEG set.  I had done a number of Bones Orcs before from the 30 New Bones set, so I had a pretty good plan for how I was going to go about painting this guy.
      I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1.25" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's White Glue.
     I then painted him all black.   When the black was dry, I went back over the figure and drybrushed all the metal parts, except the ax, with Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter".
I then repainted black any areas of the fur garments that had gotten the "Metallic Pewter" on them, and then drybrushed the upper fur garments with Folk Art "Medium Grey". I and then painted the lower garment with Americana "Asphaltum", and when dry, drybrushed it with Americana "Khaki Tan".
     Next, I realized I had forgotten to drybrush the metal bits on the front of his shield, so I went back and drybrushed it with the "Metallic Pewter".  Then, I painted all his skin with  Aleene's "Deep Khaki".  I followed this with painting his undershirt Folk Art "Deep Tomato Red".  I then used a variety of my browns, red-browns, and mustard-browns to paint his many haphazard garments and straps. His main shirt, with the metal plates sewn on it, I painted with the "Asphaltum", and the big wide belt he wears, as well as the back of the shield, I painted with the Americana "Charcoal Grey".   I painted the border around the shield with Folk Art "True Burgundy".  The ax handle I painted Americana "Mississippi Mud".
I then painted all the hands tacked on his shield using a variety of flesh tones. The bone and one of the paper or cloth scraps I painted with Americana "Buttermilk. While I had this out, I also painted his teeth with it.  I finished up by painting the hair and other fragments nailed on the shield.   When everything was dry, I gave the whole figure a wash with thinned GW "Agrax Earthshade" wash.
     After the wash had a good long time to dry, I went back and added in his eyes using the "Buttermilk" with black pupils added.  I then highlighted his skin with the original "Deep Khaki", and then mixed a little lighter Aleene's "Dusty Khaki" into it to add some lighter skin highlights.  I highlighter his garments with their original colors, and the same with the shield and the stuff nailed to it.  The bone on the shield I used some white to highlight.  Lastly, I used the "Metallic Pewter" to paint the metal parts of the ax.  I then went back and highlighted the edges of the ax head with Folk Art "Silver Sterling".
       I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  Later that afternoon I flocked the base, and the next day I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote" spray varnish.

     I'm pleased with how this fellow came out.  He will be a nice commander for to my Bones orc horde.

     I played another pair of "Song of Blades and Heroes" games using my Bones figures this past weekend; so I hope to have the battle reports posted on Thursday. So tune in then!

Figure 120 of 265: Complete

8 comments:

  1. I really liked the character of this miniature, especially all the hands attached to the shield. I feel like you could build an adventure, or at least a character hook, around that concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. He really has a lot of personality.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris,

    You write that you thinned your GW wash.

    First question: why?

    Secon question: By how much? 1:1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) I like to have a little control over how dark inks and washes go on, so I like to start lighter than needed, and then darken. It's very hard to lighten something you've made too dark.
      2) Perhaps "thinned" was a generous term. I shake the bottle so there's some of the wash in that scoop in the inner lid then I take my brush and dip it in water, knock it on the edge of my water cup to shake off any excess, and then stick it in the wash collected in the lid. So I doubt it's even as much as 1:1. I guess I should have said, " I applied the wash with a very wet brush." to be exact about it.

      Delete
    2. Ah! I get it now, I got to try this too. Thanks

      Delete
    3. Glad to help. I'm sorry that I'm not more scientific about my painting. :)

      Delete
  3. Pleaseeeeeeeeee what you're using for flock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a post I did telling all about my flocking methods:

      http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/search/label/Basing

      Hope this helps. :)

      Delete