Monday, September 29, 2014

Dragonman Warrior: Figure 116 of 265

This week I painted the Dragonman Warrior from the Fighters Set.  For some reason, as I looked at this figure, I saw it wearing a bronze-ish colored suit of armor. I thought it would be a nice match for the greenish color I planned to paint his "skin".  Once I decided that, it was easy for me to plan a whole green and yellow toned theme for his look.
      I did my preparation of this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's White Glue.
I began by painting black just the areas where he wore armor. When the black was dry, I gave it a heavy drybrushing with GW "Brazen Brass".
Next, I painted his head, hands, and feet with Americana "Avocado". Then I painted his "skirts" with Apple Barrel "Yellow".  I next painted the rim of the shield and the blank area on the face of it with Folk Art "Hunter Green". The wing design on the shield I painted with Folk Art "Golden Harvest"
I then painted his claws with Americana "Reindeer Moss Green" and his teeth with Americana "Buttermilk".  The back of his shield I painted Ceramcoat "Walnut", and the handle straps, as well as the sword grip I painted Americana "Asphaltum".  When all these colors had dried, I gave his face, hands, feet, "skirts", and the "wings on his shield, a wash with thinned Winsor-Newton "Peat Brown" Ink.
    When the ink was dry, I went back and added his eyes, using Americana "Moon Yellow" for his "whites", and black for the pupil. I then went back and added highlights to his face, hands and feet using the base "Avocado", and to his claws with the base "Reindeer Moss Green".  I highlighted his skirt with the base "Yellow" and then went back and added a little of the "Moon Yellow" to the "Yellow",  and did some lighter highlights. The wings on the shield I highlighted with the base "Golden Harvest", then I added a little of the "Moon Yellow" to the Golden Harvest as well, and did some finer highlights here too.
Next I painted his sword blade with Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter", and the hilt with Ceramcoat "Bronze". While I had the "Bronze" out, I used some to add highlights to his armor, hitting the edges of plates and the rivets.  I then went back and added highlights to the sword blade with Folk Art "Silver Sterling". I gave the hilt a little wash with some of the thinned "Peat Brown" ink, and when it was dry, went back and added highlights to the hilt with Ceramcoat "14K Gold".   I used some f the "Walnut" to paint the ares of the base that were still white, and then I set the figure to dry.
     The next morning I gave it  coat of  Ceramcoat "Mate Varnish". Later that afternoon, I flocked the base.  The following day, I sprayed the figure with "Testor's Dullcote".

  I'm pleased with how the figure turned out.  I really like the sculpt, and the armor and the blade have some nice details that make it look appropriately non-human.   In the end I think the green and yellow scheme worked well on this figure.

Figure 116 of 265: Complete

4 comments:

  1. Do you have any durability issues with Apple Barrel paints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By "durability", do you mean wearing off the figure during the course of normal play? If so, then I'd say, no, I haven't noticed this. But I really try to not touch the figures until they've had two varnish coats applied; one brush on and one sprayed on.

      Delete