Monday, September 22, 2014

Duke Gerard: Figure 115 of 265

     This week I started on the Fighters Set, and painted Duke Gerard. I thought I'd start with the simplest figure in the set, to get myself back in a fantasy mind frame after painting the remainder of the more realistic figures in the Zombie Humters Set earlier in the month.
      I did my preparation of this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's White Glue.
I started by painting all the armor black.  I then gave it a good drybrushing with Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter".
     Next, I painted his waist cape, and the cloth hangings at his front and shoulders  with Anita's "Violet"and his shield and scabbard with GW "Liche Purple".
When the purple coats were dry, I gave all the cloth parts that I had painted with the "Violet" a wash with thinned Dark Blue ink. After the ink was good and dry, I went back and highlighted the cloth and the shield with the "Violet"
Now I painted his face with Americana "Shading Flesh", and his hair, and the grips on his swords, with Americana "Charcoal Grey".  I then painted his belt, and the back of the shield, with Ceramcoat "Walnut".
     I next painted the trim on his armor, and the hilts of the swords and base of the scabbard, with Ceramcoat "14k Gold".
After everything  had had time to dry, I went back and gave his head and the gold areas a wash with thinned GW "Agrax Earthshade"wash.  I then painted his eyes, and added highlights to his face with the "Shading Flesh".  I also highlighted the gold with the "14K Gold".  I then painted his sword blade with the "Metallic Pewter", and when it was dry, I highlighted the top portion of the blade, and his armor, with Folk Art "Silver Sterling".  Lastly I used some Americana "Dove Grey" to add some gray to his temples and some streaks in his hair to make him look more mature.
   I then hunted through all my old spare sheets of decals, and found a sheet of old Brettonian Knight ones.  I decided on a Pegasus design to match the wings decoration on the front of his armor, and applied it to the shield.  It tore a little while applying it, so I had to go and patch it up with white paint.
    I let the figure sit over night, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  Later that afternoon I flocked the base, and the following day I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote" spray varnish.

I pleased with how the figure turned out.  Even though it is not the most dynamic figure, it has a certain somber seriousness to it. And I think the purple and gold scheme helps bring out his royal bearing.

Figure 115 of 265: Complete

8 comments:

  1. Excellent. I was not sure how I would like the pewter at the start, but the armor turned out well, and the decal is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple on the shield and that transfer really help to sell the rest of the metallics. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this figure, and your turned out great! He has the gravitas of a GW Space Marine, without actually being one. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree with your gravitas comment, that's why I think it's such a good sculpt despite its lack of a dynamic pose.

      Delete