Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Painting Arthrand Nightblade, Elf Ranger: Figure 34 of 265

My apologies for taking so long to post a figure, but it has turned out to be a very busy month for me, and I have got very little painting done.  I finished the Elf Ranger figure from the Original 30 Bones set  this past weekend.  I began with soaking the figure in some dish soap overnight, and then giving it a scrub with an old toothbrush and then rinsing. When dry, I glued it to a 1" black-primed fender washer, then glued the washer to half a tongue depressor with a drop of Elmer's glue.
I began by painting black just the little bit of armor showing in the slit of his clothing. I then drybrushed this with Ceramcoat "14k Gold". I then painted his outfit Duncan "Olive Green" and his cape and hood with Folk Art "Poppy Seed". I then painted in some shadows in the folds of  his clothing by adding some of the "Poppy Seed" to the "Olive Green", I did the dame with his cape by adding a little black to the "Poppy Seed". I then went back and painted highlights on the raised areas by adding Americana "Jade Green" (which is a very light green)to the two base colors.
Next I painted all the belts, scabbards, forearm guard, and quiver with Accent "Mustard Seed".  The detail straps on the quiver and scabbards I painted with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna". I then painted the bow and the arrow shafts with Accent "Raw Umber", the grip on the bow with DecoArt "Forest Green", and the arrow fletchings with Aleene's "Dusty Khaki".  Next I painted his leggings with the "Jade Green" and his boots with Folk Art "Butter Pecan". Lastly I painted his face and hands with GW "Elf Flesh", and his hair with Americana "Sable Brown". I then did all the metal bits with Cermacoat Bronze.  When everything had dried, I gave everything but his clothes a wash with Windsor Newton "Peat Brown" ink, being very careful not to let any get on his clothing.
  When everything had dried overnight, I painted the figure with Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish", and when dry, I flocked the base.  Afterwards, I sprayed the finished model with Testor's "Dullcoat."
I'm pleased with the figure, and it was relatively easy to paint. 

Figure 34 of 265: Complete


  1. Very nice figure. Just a touch of brooding, and a good mix of threat in it's pose. You have really brought it to life! Keep it up man, you're doing great work.

    1. Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement!