Monday, September 28, 2020

D'Vandra Lukesia: Bones 4 Dreadmere Figure

      Starting to work again on the Dreadmere Expansion this past week, and painted the D'Vandra Lukesia figure.   I've seen this figure painted up two ways; one is as a necromancer type with pale skin and dark clothing, ready to go dig up some bones; and the other is as a druid-nature type in light colors with more normal skin coloration, ready to go plant some flowers.  After some deliberation, I decided to go with the second of the two.
        I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a brown-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
     I began by painting her face and arms with Reaper MSP "Bronzed Skin".   I then painted her under skirt with Americana "Antique Gold", and followed with painting her dress with Americana "Avocado".  I then went back and painted her sash and bodice with the "Antique Gold".
     Next, I painted her hair with Accent "Golden Harvest", and then painted her shovel handle with Americana "Light Cinnamon".  After that, I painted her belts and straps with Accent "Forest Green", and then some of the stuff on her belts, as well as her wrist guards, with Citadel "Snakebite Leather". 
     I then painted the wraps on her shovel with Folk Art "Butter Pecan", and the flowers on the shovel with Folk Art "True Burgundy".   After that, I painted clasps and some of the belt accouterments that I eventually planned to make metallic gold, with Accent "Mustard Seed".   I followed that with painting the bone hanging from her belts with Reaper MSP "Graveyard Bone", and the shovel blade with Americana "Zinc". 
     I then let the figure dry overnight, and the next day I applied a coat of Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash to her face and arms.  I let that wash dry for a while, and then applied a coat of "Agrax Earthshade" wash to the rest of the figure.    When that wash was dry, I painted her eyes, and then highlighted her skin using the base "Bronzed Skin", and some Reaper MSP "Bronzed Highlight".
     Next, I highlighted her under skirt, the sashes, and the bodice with; the base "Antique Gold", then Crafter's Acrylic "Bright Yellow", and lastly, Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow" for the lightest layer.  After that, I highlighted her dress with the base "Avocado",then some Americana "Olive Green", and the fasteners and lightest highlights with Raper MSP Bones "Dungeon Slime". 
     I then highlighted her hair using, Americana "Moon Yellow", Apple Barrel "Lemon Chiffon", and Americana "Snow White" for the lightest highlights.   After that, I highlighted her belts and straps with, first, Americana Forest Green", followed by Americana "Festive Green".   I followed by highlighting the canister hanging on her right side, as well as her wrist guards, using the base "Snakebite Leather", followed by some Reaper MSP "Bronzed Skin". 
     Next, I highlighted the bone hanging at her side using Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White".  I then worked on her shovel, highlighting the handle with Americana "Fawn", and the bindings with Americana "Bleached Sand".  After that, I highlighted the flowers with Crafter's Acrylic "Tutti Fruitti", and Apple Barrel "Apple Lt. Pink". 
     I then worked on the metal parts, repainting the containers I had painted with the "Mustard Seed", as well as the assorted buckles, using Folk Art Brushed Metal "Brushed Bronze".  I then added highlights with Folk Art "Pure Gold" and then Ceramcoat "Wedding Gold". After that, I worked on the shovel, painting it first with Ceramcoat "Silver", followed by a little Citadel "Mitrhil Silver" highlight.   Lastly, I painted his base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
         I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote". 


     I'm really happy with this one.   Once I got painting her, I realized she was accessorized a little more like a necromancer than I has originally thought, with both a bone and what looks like a canopic jar on her belts; which I hadn't noticed at first.  Nevertheless, I still think she makes a good druid type nature wizard as well.

6 comments:

  1. Druids can use bones too! Maybe she is bringing it for her wolf freind. And she seems too wholesome for necromancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of her carrying around a "chew toy" for her wolf friend! :D "Who's a gud boi! Who's mommy's gud boi!" I'll need to get wolf to go with her now. :)

      Delete
  2. I really like your work. I am going to get into painting miniatures. I have no paint, I noticed you use a wide variety of brands. What causes you to pick one paint over another one? Is it purely color choice or is it some other quality and what paint would you recommend buying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hope! Good luck as you start this new hobby.

      Most times I will pick a paint by color; either something specific I need or something cool I see. Theres also ones I bought just because I saw them on clearance and I thought they could be useful, and some that were giveaways.

      There are folks who swear by hobby specific paints, and there are those who do just fine with the craft store paints. I think a lot has to do with what you prefer and what you gain the most experience working with. It has been my experience that every line of paint has some winners and some losers in it. For someone starting out, I would strongly recommend experimenting with different brands to see what you like best and to see how they differ and how they are the same.

      Please feel free to ask any further questions as you progress in starting to paint.

      Delete