Monday, September 7, 2020

Dark Watcher: Bones 4 Darkreach Figure

     This past week I painted the Dark Watcher figure from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion.
     I prepped the "Dark Watcher" in the usual way, soaking the pieces in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added; then giving the pieces a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying everything.  I then glued the two halves of the head together and glued the tongue in, then glued the head to the base using Gorilla Superglue gel. I then glued the figure to a brown-primed 1.25" fender washer using Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer to the top of a large pill bottle with a couple drops of Elmers white glue.
      I debated how to paint this.  The obvious choice would be some dark color; grey, green, blue, brown, typical for subterranean monsters, but having already painted a couple monsters from this expansion that way, I wanted to try something different.  So I then thought about going with a more pale, almost albino look, to represent a creature that has never been exposed to sunlight and evolved in the dark.  I Googled photos of various albino animals to give myself an idea of what to try for.
     I began by painting the rocky base with Ceramcoat "Charcoal Grey".  When dry, I drybrushed it with Folk Art "Rock Grey", and Americana "Grey Sky". 
     Next, I painted the entire head with Americana "Snow White".  When dry, I gave the entire head a coat of Citadel Contrast "Apothecary White".   When dry, I drybrushed the head with the "Snow White", and then used a brush to do even further "Snow White" highlights.  I then painted the inside of the mouth with Americana "Cranberry Wine".
     I quickly decided that the mouth looked too strong of a color for my liking, so I repainted it with a mix of the "Cranberry Wine" and some Crafter's Acrylic  "Cherry Blossom Pink".  I then highlighted it with just the "Cherry Blossom Pink" followed with further highlights using Apple Barrel "Apple Lt. Pink".  After that, I painted the very back of his throat with some Citadel Contrast "Templar Black" to try and give it some depth. I followed that with painting his teeth with Americana "Bleached Sand", and his horns with Folk Art "Gray Green".
    I let the figure dry for a while, and then applied a coat of Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash to the teeth, and  a coat of Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash to the horns.   After that, I painted the eyeball with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White". 
     Next, I painted the outer iris with Folk Art "Cloudy Day", then painted the inner iris with Crafter's Acrylic "Cool Blue".  I then painted the pupil with Ceramcoat "Black", and afterwards did highlights on the teeth with the base "Bleached Sand" followed by a little Ceramcoat "White".   After that, I highlighted the horns with the base "Grey Green", followed by some Folk Art "Porcelain White". 
       I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.   Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote". When the "Dullcote" was dry, I went back and repainted the eye and the inside of the mouth with a little Americana "DuraClear Gloss" varnish.




     I'm pleased with how this fellow turned out.  The mold line running across his teeth bugs me, but there was no way I was going to get involved in the insane amount of time it would take to try and clear all that out.  (What a crazy place to put a mold line!) In the end I think the mouth perhaps is still too dark in color for an albino creature, but I think in general he looks ok. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that turned out really well! The tongue looks particularly good.

    And what a horrible place for a mold line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you like the tongue. In retrospect, I wish I had added a couple white highlights to it to really make it look wet. The mold lines on some of these monsters are just ridiculous.

      Delete
  2. Well done as usual, Chris. Might I suggest that the sculptor intended it to be an adolescent Dark Watcher and that "mold line" is, in fact, his braces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott!
      Lol... it would be fun to paint them silver. :D

      Delete