Monday, May 11, 2020

Townsfolk Courtesan: Bones 4 Figure

   This past week I painted the "Courtesan" figure from the Bones 4 Townsfolk II set.  This completes this set for me and completes all the Townsfolk from the Bones 4 Core Set.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a brown-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
  I decided since it was such a plain figure, I would attempt to do some fancy pattern on the dress.  The figure appeared to look like it was meant to resemble a Japanese Geisha to some extent, which inspired me to want to to try to do a cherry blossom print on it.  So to begin, I Googled "cherry blossom kimono" to get some ideas on patterns.  Also, since I had just done a lot of white fabric on last week's figure, I knew wanted to do something colored on this one, and I picked yellow. 
      I began by painting the skin with Reaper MSP "Bronze Skin".  I then painted the dress with Americana "Primary Yellow", and her hair with Ceramcoat "Black"
     Next, I worked up mid-tones and highlights on the dress using first, Crafter's Acrylic "Bright Yellow", then Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow", Apple Barrel "Lemon Chiffon", and finally a little of the "Lemon Chiffon" mixed with Americana "Snow White".  After that, I gave her skin a coat of Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash.
     Then, while the wash was drying, I painted the tree branches on her dress using Americana "Charcoal Grey", and did highlights on them with Americana "Mississippi Mud".   Next, I painted her eyes, and then highlighted her skin with the base "Bronze Skin", and some Reaper MSP "Bronze Skin Highlight".
       I decided at that point that the highlights on the branches weren't light enough, so I added some more highlights with Americana "Fawn".  I then painted the flowers; first doing blossoms with Crafter's Acrylic "Christmas Red", and then giving them centers of Pathfinder MSP "Urgathea Red", then I did more flowers with the "Snow White", and then gave those blossoms centers with Crafter's Acrylic "Tutti Frutti".     Next, I did highlights on her hair, first with Folk Art "Cloudy Day", and then mixing in a little Crafter's Acrylic "Cool Blue", and finally adding in some spots of the "Snow White".  After that I painted the pendant on her necklace with Ceramcoat "Wedding Gold", and then did the pearls on the necklace, and in the center of the pendant, with the "Snow White".   Lastly, I painted her base and the washer with the "Mississippi Mud".
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote".

     I'm really happy with this one.  I wanted to experiment with doing the the shadows, mid-tones and highlights on the fabric simply with paint, instead of my usual use of a wash; and I think it turned out pretty good.  I am especially pleased with how the cherry blossoms came out, although I'm slightly disappointed in the face.

6 comments:

  1. Those cherry blossoms look amazing but I also think that the skintone you achieved here is really quite nice. Great in contrast with the bright yellow dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, XE. I'm glad you liked the skin tone. I wasn't quite sure about it.

      Delete
  2. Great work! The cherry blossoms turned out very well, and certainly seem "readable" on the table. What I find really impressive though is the yellow dress color you have achieved. Very striking, and well executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lasgunpacker! I'm glad you like the dress as that yellow was really hard to work with. The initial color took about 3 coats to get it good and even looking.

      Delete
  3. Wow! You should be happy with it!

    ReplyDelete