Monday, May 25, 2020

Dark Elf Male Warrior: Bones 4 Darkreach Figure

     This past week I painted the "Dark Elf Male Warrior" from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion in my continuing effort to concentrate on working my way through this Expansion.
     I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a brown-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
     I began by painting all the armor with Ceramcoat "Black".  When dry, I drybrushed the armor with Folk Art Color Shift "Black Flash".  I then painted the face and hands with Reaper MSP "Dark Elf Skin".
     I realized I wasn't totally happy with the armor, so I went over it again with a light drybrush of Reaper MSP "Aged Pewter".  I felt that made it look better.  Next, I painted his pants with Crafter's Acrylic "Bright Blue", and his tunic with Americana "Cranberry Wine".  After that, I painted his cape with  Americana "Zinc", and then his hair with Americana "Grey Sky".
     I then painted his belt and scabbard with the "Black", and his pouch with Americana "Charcoal Grey".   I followed that with panting his crossbow with Americana "Asphaltum", and his sword with Americana "Charcoal".  I let the figure dry for a while, and then gave the whole thing a coat of Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.
     When the wash was dry, I painted the eyes, then highlighted the face and hands with the base "Dark Elf Skin", and some Reaper MSP "Dark Elf Highlight".  I then highlighted his pants with a mix of the base "Bright Blue", and some Crafter's Acrylic "Cool Blue".   After that I highlighted his tunic with te base "Cranberry Wine" mixed with some Crafter's Acrylic "Tutti Frutti". 
     Next, I highlighted the cape with a mix of the base "Zinc" and some of the "Grey Sky".  I then added a decorative stripe along the bottom edge of the cape using the "Cranberry Wine" highlighted with mixing in some of the "Tutti Frutti".  After that, I highlighted his hair with Americana "Snow White".  I then did highlights on the belt and scabbard with some of the "Zinc", and highlighted the pouch with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige".  I also used the Territorial Beige to highlight the crossbow.  I then painted the binding on the crossbow with Americana "Khaki Tan".
     After that I painted the sword, belt buckle, and the metal parts of the dagger and crossbow with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey". I followed with giving them light highlights with some Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver".  Lastly, I painted the entire base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. I then used some white glue to glue some fine sand to the base.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with a coat of the "Charcoal Grey". When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with the "Mississippi Mud", and then with some Apple Barrel "Rock Grey"; lastly I drybrushed it with a little Americana "Dove Grey".
      Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote".

     I'm really happy with how this figure turned out.  This was my first time using Reaper's Dark Elf Skin Triad and I'm very happy with the outcome.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool figure! I'm rereading some of the Drizzt novels after they were availiable in a humble bundle and have been looking for fitting miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, XE! I find these figures to be a marked improvement over some of Reapers earlier Dark Elves which were always too skinny for my tastes.

      Delete
  2. Another great figure.

    Does the color shift paint you used still "work" under all the other layers, or was it lost? It certainly seems like it could be a cool way to indicate that the armor is magic or at least abnormal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it doesn't really "work", but that is a factor of a couple problems. First to get the best effect, you need a big smooth surface to really get the effect; so little armor plates aren't the best for that. Then, the drybrushing over it diminished it, and using Dullcote over everything at the end really doesn't help it either. What I ended up with is more of just a metallic black. I have yet to paint anything with the Color Shift that I really felt used it well. I need to get brave and use it on a cape or a whole shield or something like that.

      Delete