Monday, February 17, 2020

Hungering Dead: Bones 4 Figures

   I'm still knee deep in painting stuff for next month's Cold Wars convention, so once again I didn't have a lot of time for painting Bones.  Therefore, I selected the simple  Hungering Dead group from the Bones 4 Core Set to work on.
     I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking the parts in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then assembled the figures with Gorilla Superglue gel.  Somewhere along the way, I lost one of the heads (it may have gone down the drain while cleaning), so I replaced it with a suitably ghoulish plastic head from the Frostgrave "Cultists" set.  After assembly, I glued them to 1" black-primed fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue.  I then glued the washers onto a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's white glue.
    My plan for these guys was to try a real pale living-under-a-rock maggoty kind of color.   So, to begin with, I painted them a mix of Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White" and Folk Art "Almond Parfait" (a pale take with hits of pink and yellow).
     When dry, I experimented with giving them a coat of Citadel Contrast "Apothecary White".
     When dry, I drybrushed them with some Americana "Snow White".  I wasn't happy with that as they were looking too plain grey, and so when over them a little with Citadel Dry "Hellion Green" to add some color back in. I then filled their mouths with some Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash, and when it was dry, picked out their teeth with the "Snow White".  Next, I painted their eyes using Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow" for the "whites".   
      Next, I painted their loin cloths using, left to right, Citadel Contrast "Wyldwood", Citadel Contrast "Creed Camo", and Citadel Contrast "Space Wolves Grey".  I then did the hair on the righthand one with Citadel Contrast "Black Templar".
     I then painted the skull the center one is holding using Citadel Contrast "Skeleton Horde", and the stones and gravestone on the bases with Citadel Contrast "Basilicanum Grey". Next, I went back and drybrushed the skull with some Americana "Bleached Sand".  After that, I bumped up the highlighting on the first two loin cloths, using Folk Art "Teddy Bear Brown" on the left figure, and Americana "Jade Green"  on the center figure.   Lastly, I painted the bases with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
     I let all the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor's "Dullcote".  

   Well, I'm generally pleased with how the coloration turned out, and I think in general they look pretty good for fast paint jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment