Monday, January 7, 2019

Wraith: Bones 3 Figure

   Happy 2019, everybody!   This past week I painted the Wraith figure from the Bones 3 Core Set.  I had selected this figure a couple weeks ago,  with some kind of idea in my head to paint it as Father Time, in order to post for New Year's Eve. But I simply didn't have time to work on it.  It's just as well, I think, since in retrospect it's not a very good Father Time figure.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.   I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
     I began by painting the figure, including it's integral base,  with Ceramcoat "Black", and when that was dry, I went over the figure with Reaper MSP "Coal Black".  When that was dry, I drybrushed the figure with Citadel "The Fang"
     I then fully painted the scythe handle with the "Black", and then, when dry, drybrushed it with Americana "Neutral Grey", followed by Folk Art "Barn Wood".  I then painted the blade with Americana "Asphaltum".
     Next, I splotched the blade with fist, Americana "Light Cinnamon", and then Americana "Terra Cotta".   I  painted the  base with Americana "Bittersweet Chocolate".
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".
Oops!  I see in the photo where I missed a bit of Black deep in a fold.


     It was a very simple figure, perfect for a busy week.  And generally I am pleased with it. 

   And to think Bones 4 could be here in a month or so! I'm going to be very interested to try the new Bones Black figures.  And my backlog of Bones will grow exponentially!

2 comments:

  1. That rust effect really comes across as the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, XE! Rust is one of my favorite things to paint because I seem to be able to get good results with just haphazardly smooshing paint around. :D

      Delete