Also, before I get into Bones painting today, I wanted to update folks on another of the projects I mentioned in last Monday's post: the Perry plastic War of the Roses figures. To help add the pressure to that project, I volunteered to run a playtest with the figures at last Friday's club meeting, and attempted to get all 40 figures done in about 6 days. Well, I did pretty good in my goal, and got 28 of them done in time for the game! They aren't up to the standard you usually see here, but they are good for a tabletop standard. So, I'm not worried now that I will have all of them ready by the end of September.
|What I can accomplish working only 25-30 minutes per figure.|
Anyhow, back to Bones!
I began working on Ingrid by prepping this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. When dry, I glued the figure to a 1" Reaper plastic base with Gorilla Superglue. I then placed the figure in my painting grip.
I then painted her helmet, dagger sheath, and the non-furry part of her boots with Crafter's acrylic "Cinnamon Brown", and the horns on her hemet with Folk Art "Porcelain White". After that, I painted her shield and sword scabbard with Ceramcoat "Black Cherry", and then painted all the metal bits that weren't armor, with Americana "Zinc".
I then went back and repainted all the parts I had painted with the "Zinc", and all the little studs on her straps and shield, using the "Gunmetal Grey". When dry, I went back again, and highlighted all the metal, including her armor, with Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver". After that, I painted the circular medallion on her sword and dagger hilts with Ceramcoat "Bronze", and then went back and highlighted them with Ceramcoat "Wedding Gold".
I then debated how to decorate the shield, and decided I wanted to do something feminine, to contrast with her barbarian nature. So, I thought about what would be within my abilities to paint, and I decided on a stylized rose, as it would go well with the dark red shield I thought. So I did a Google image search for "Rose Graphic" and got some inspiration for how to proceed. I began by painting the petals with Crafter's Acrylic "Tutti Frutti", and then painted the leaves with Americana "Forest Green" . I then went back and highlighted the petals with Crafter's acrylic "Cherry Blossom Pink" and highlighted the leaves with Crafter's Acrylic "Wild Green".
Lastly, I painted the figure's integral base with the "Black".
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. When the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to glue a little sand to the base. When this was dry, I painted the sand with the Black and, when dry, drybrushed the base with some Americana "Zinc", followed by Crafter's Acrylic "Light Storm Cloud Grey", and lastly some Americana "Dove Grey".
Then, another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".
Ingrid, Female Viking