Monday, July 16, 2018

Ogre Guard, Ogre Smasher, Ogre Clubber: Bones 3 Figures

     I enjoyed painting the Merrow figure a couple weeks ago so much, that I was in the mood to tackle some more similarly sized monster figures; so I pulled the Bones 3 Ogres set out to paint this past week.  I decided, since they were basically all so similar, to just go ahead and paint them all at the same time.
     I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added and then rinsing and drying.   I then glued them to 1.5" black-primed fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue.  I then glued the figures to a  tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue each.

       I looked in my old 197? D&D Monster Manual to see what it had to say about the coloration of Ogres; and it described them as having anywhere from black-brown to "dead yellow" colored skin.  So I split the difference and began by painting them a 50/50 mix of Americana "Bittersweet Chocolate (a very dark brown), and Americana "Moon Yellow" (A mid-toned greyish yellow).  The end result turned out to be a mid-brown with greenish greyish overtones, and I was pleased with it.  I then painted the section of chainmail on the leftmost one with Ceramcoat "Black", and when dry, I drybrushed the chainmail with  Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey"
     Next, I painted the fur loincloth on the leftmost one with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown", and on the center one with Americana "Asphaltum".  The on on the right had a loincloth of layers of cloth, and as I thought about what colored cloth an Ogre might wear, I was struck by the angular shape and overlapping layers of the cloth, and how they could be painted to resemble flags and banners.  I really liked this idea, so I tried to painted the loincloth to look like it was assembled from the banners and flags of defeated foes.  I thought there was something humorous in the ultimate insult in defeat of having your personal banner rubbing against an Ogre's unmentionables!  :-D   While I had the bright colors out for the flags, I also painted the shield on the lefthand one's arm, and the righthand one's hip.  I then painted the keg on the belt of the lefthand one, and the back of the shield on this arm with some Folk Art "Teddy Bear Brown".  After that, I painted all the clubs with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
     I then painted all the belts, an the leather parts of the wrist guards on  the left one and the center one, with Accent "Real Umber".  Next, I painted the ankle wraps on all of them, and the wrist wraps on he righthand one with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige", and the pouches on the middle one and the righthand one with Reaper MSP Turkey Brown".  On the lefthand one I painted the padding on his right wrist brace with Folk Art "Gray Green".
     Next, I painted anything that looked like leather straps with Americana "Terra Cotta", and then painted any large corded ropes with Folk Art "Butter Pecan".  I then did smaller strings with Folk Art "Barn Wood", and then all the skulls and any other bones, and the Ogres' teeth, with Americana "Antique White".  After that, I did the stone in the righthand one's club with Folk Art "Dapple grey", and then I painted any of the larger metal pieces with Americana "Zinc".  I finished the main painting, by doing their nipples with Vallejo "US Olive Drab", and then I went around and any odd thing that hadn't been painted yet got done with Folk Art Teddy Bear Brown".
     When everything had had a chance to dry, I gave the figures a complete wash with Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash.   When the wash was dry, I painted their eyes, and then highlighted their teeth with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White".   Next, I mixed some of the same colors I had used to paint their skin, "Moon Yellow" and "Bittersweet Chocolate", into a slightly lighter tone by adding a little more of the "Moon Yellow".  I then used this color to highlight their skin.   After that, I painted the center one's eye patch, the lefthand one's side whiskers, and all three's belly hair, with some Ceramcoat "Black".  When the "Black was dry, I highlighted it with some Citadel "The Fang".
      Next, I highlighted the wood of their clubs with Folk Art Barn Wood", and then highlighted their ankle wraps, the wrist wraps on the third one, and the keg on the lefthand one, with Reaper MSP "Ginger Cookie".  I then highlighted the loin cloth fur of the first one with Americana "Sable Brown", and the center one's with Folk Art Butter Pecan", and finally on the third one I added highlights to the flags.  After that, I highlighted their belts, and the leather parts of the wrist guards, with some of the "Teddy Bear Brown".
     I then highlighted all the leather strapping with Accent "Golden Oxide", and then highlighted the big cord on the righthand one with the "Antique White".  Next, I highlighted the skulls with Americana "Bleached Sand" followed by some "White". After that, I highlighted the smaller cords, and the wrist pad on the right hand of the lefthand Ogre, with Folk Art "Porcelain White", and highlighted the stone in the righthand Ogre's club with Folk Art "grey Green".   I then splotched the stone with a little Ceramcoat "Black Cherry" to give a slight bloodstained look.   Next, I highlighted all the pouches on all of them with Reaper MSP "Olive Skin Highlight", and while doing so I noticed there was hand sticking out of the righthand Ogre's pouch, which I painted with some Americana "Reindeer Moss Green".
    Next, I painted all the metal parts with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey", and when dry, I gave all the metal, and the pouch hand,  a wash with the "Agrax Earthshade" wash.  When dry, I highlighted some of the metal with Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver".
    Lastly, I painted the figures integral bases with the "Bittersweet Chocolate".
     I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock their bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor's Dullcote".
   



    I'm generally happy with these.  They ended up being a bit of a speed paint, as I was attending Historicon this past weekend; so I had to get these all done before I left on Friday, so some corners were cut.  But they'll look good enough when on the game table, and that's what counts.   I'm particularly happy though with how the loin cloth made of the banners of defeated foes turned out. :) 

2 comments:

  1. They are proper meneacing! Of course the freehands on the loin cloths are great, but I esspecially like the colour fo skin you achived here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I was pleased with how that color came out too. :)

      Delete