|This week, I am working on the figure on the left.|
|Here he can be seen with his original weapon removed and a dagger and torch added.|
I began by giving the figure a thinned wash of Reaper MSP "Grey Liner". When the wash was dry, I painted his face with Americana "Shading Flesh". This figure is pretty much decked out in a lot of armor, but I thought I'd try to paint it so it either looked like cloth or leather armor; to help sell the idea he was a thief. So, I painted his "tunic" with Americana "Zinc", and then painted his cape, hood, and gloves with Ceramcoat "Black".
I then painted his eyes and highlighted his face. I only applied the highlights to the right side, to help with the OSL (Object Source Lighting) effect. I then did the highlights on his beard, using the warmer Americana 'Sable Brown on the right of the beard, and the cooler Americana "Mississippi Mud" on the left of the beard; again, to help with the OSL effect. At this point I realized I better actually get to painting the source of the light, so I began work on the flame. I started by painting the indented areas of the sculpted flame with Reaper MSP "Golden Glow", then working up to the higher ridges of the sculpted flame, I progressed through Crafter' Acrylic "Pure Pumpkin", Reaper MSP"Holly Berry", and Reaper MSP Bones "Cinnamon Red".
Lastly, I painted the figure's base with Black.
When the Black was dry, I used some white glue to glue a little black course sand onto the base. When this was dry I drybrushed the bases with some of the Americana "Neutral Grey", and then some Duncan "Slate Grey", and lastly some Folk Art "Platinum Grey".
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".