Monday, April 3, 2017

Boneflail, Gnoll Cleric: Bones II Figure

    This past week I painted up the Boneflail, Gnoll Cleric, figure from the Bones II Gnolls & Bugbears set.  This is my third Gnoll to complete as I work my way through the ones from the Bones II Kickstarter in the eventual expectation to play the scenarios in the Frostgrave "Into the Breeding Pits" supplement book.
     I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.25" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
 I began by giving the figure a wash with heavily thinned Reaper "Grey Liner" using a wet brush.  When that was dry, I painted his fur (or is it supposed to be a her?) Folk Art  "Gray Green", and then did his/her mane, and the end of the tail, with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna".  I then painted the tunic with Aleene's "Deep Khaki".
     Next, I pained the belt with Reaper MSP "Turkey Brown", and then painted the side pouch and its strap, as well as the right arm wrist guard, with Citadel "Snake Bite Leather.  I then painted the face of the shield with Folk Art "Barnyard Red" and the inside of the shield with Folk Art "Dark Brown".  I also used the "Dark Brown" to paint the rear pouch, and then I painted the little sack tucked in the belt with Americana "Mississippi Mud".   After that, I painted the fringe on the tunic with Crafter's Acrylic "Bright Yellow", then used the "Bright Yellow" to paint a bone deign on the shield.
     I then painted the straps on the shield with Americana "Bittersweet Chocolate", and the wraps on his feet with Americana "Asphaltum".   After that I painted all the bones and skulls with Americana "Antique White". I then went back and painted the horns on the front skull with FolkArt "Barn Wood", and the teeth on the shoulder skull, as well as the gnoll's teeth, with Americana "Bleached Sand". Next, I painted all the little strings tying the bones on the gnoll's outfit, with the "Barnyard Red"; and then did the little cloth patches on the top of the  tunic with Crafter's Acrylic "Christmas Red", Crafter's Acrylic "Purple Passion", and White.  After that, I painted the armband and the morning star with Americana "Zinc".
     I painted the morning star and the arm band with Folk Art Metallic's "Gunmetal Grey", and then when everything had a while to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash using a wet brush.   When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the fur with Folk Art "Porcelain White", and then highlighted the mane and tail fringe with Americana "Shading Flesh".  After that, I painted the eyes and the muzzle Black.
     Next, I highlighted the tunic with  Aleene's Dusty Khaki, and then highlighted all the bones with the "Bleached Sand", and the teeth with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White".  I then highlighted the side pouch and wrist guard with Ceramcoat "Maple Sugar Tan", and then I did the highlights on the shield and all the little bone ties with Crafter's Acrylic Orange Spice." After that, I  highlighted all the browns with Americana "Sable Brown", and then did the stitching on the shield and the back bottom of the tunic with Americana "Khaki". Lastly, I highlighted the metal parts with Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver"
      When I was done painting the figure, I used some white glue to glue a little sand to the base.  When this was dry, I painted it all Black.  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed it with some of the "Neutral Grey", and then some Duncan "Slate Grey".
    I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him/her a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".


     I'm happy with how this figure came out;  though I have to say all these gnolls so far, particularly this one, have had a tone of flash on the mold lines that I'm not used to seeing on Bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment