This past week I worked on the second half of a unit of 10 Squogs to add to my old Poison Dart Frog Army. I thought the Squogs would fit right in with the rest of the troops, as some sort of more tribal cousins.
I started with the ones that came from the Bones 2 Kickstarter in the Swamp Things set, and ordered a couple more packs from Reaper to bring the total up to 10 figures.
Last week I completed the first five Squogs, which were the version of the figure that is armed with a trident.
I prepped these figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.
My plan was to do some conversions on two of the basic models to turn one into a standard bearer and another into a unit leader. Last week when I did the trident-armed ones I converted one into the standard bearer; this time I did the leader conversion by cutting down one of the spears and reusing the spear blade to make a sword. I did this by by gluing the spear blade directly to the figures hand so it looked like a short sword. I also cut his right arm at the elbow and repositioned it so it would look like it was more naturally holding a sword. Lastly, I glued on a skull helmet that I had removed from an extra Mudcroak, Squog Shaman, figure I had.
I then glued the 5 figures (including the converted leader one, to black-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figures to a 2 tongue depressors with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue under each washer.
My plan was to try and make them look like this kind of Strawberry Poison Dart frog like I did with the last group:
I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Folk Art "Satin Varnish". When dry, I flocked the bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor's Dullcote". When the Dullcote was dry, I went back and painted their eyes with Americana "DuraClear Gloss" varnish.