Monday, October 19, 2015

Rex, Dark Future Hero: Figure 175 of 265

    This week I completed Rex, Dark Future Hero from the Chronoscope set.  It wasn't hard to see that this was supposed to be a not-Arnold figure from Terminator, so I did a quick Google search to see the exact colors of his classic T-1 outfit were. (Edit: I've been informed that this is a not-Mad Max figure, not an Ah-nuld one. Oops!  Though I think it works I'm both roles)
       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
      I began by painting the entire figure Black.  I then drybrushed the entire figure with Folk Art "Settlers Blue".  Next, I painted his shirt with Americana "Zinc".
     I then painted his skin with Americana "Shading Flesh", and the stock of the shotgun with Crafters Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown".   After these were dry, I gave the skin and the stock a wash with Winsor-Newton "Peat Brown" ink using a wet brush.
     When the wash was dry, I painted his eyes, then did highlights on his face, hands, and arm with the base "Shading Flesh".  I then mixed a little Americana "Mocha" into the "Shading Flesh" to do some lighter highlights.  It was at this time that I realized that he was wearing what looked like a fingerless motorcycle glove on his right hand.  So, I quickly painted it Black and did some "Settlers Blue" highlights on it.  I took this opportunity to add Black eyebrows on him, and do some more specific "Settlers Blue" highlights on his black outfit.  I then added highlights to his shirt with Folk Art "Medium Grey".
     I now worked on the metallics, painting the metal parts of the shotgun with Accent "Princely Pewter". I then highlighted the gun parts and painted his belt buckle with Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter".  Finally, I painted his jacket's many zippers with Folk Art "Silver Sterling".
      I decided I was going to leave the metal plate he is standing on exposed when I flocked the base, so I wanted to paint it like a piece of rusty metal and began by painting it with Ceramcoat "Walnut".  Then, with an old frazzled small brush, I stippled and splotched Crafters Edition "Spice Brown" over it trying to keep it off his boots.  Next, I did the same, but to a lesser extent with Accent "Golden Oxide". I then touched up any areas on his boots with Black where I had gotten spots on them.
       After the figure had the afternoon to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" in the evening.  The next morning I flocked the base, and later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.  I let the figure st overnight, and the next morning I applied a gloss varnish to his leather jacket to make it look really shiny like it does in the Terminator photos I had looked at.
     I'm pleased with how the figure turned out. Nothing terribly impressive, but a nice useful pulp, zombie, or sci-fi genre  game figure.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely work - I've been meaning to pick up the miniature for a while :) it's Mad Max rather than Arnie though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    Oops! Honest mistake...interesting how similar the look is. I've edited the text accordingly. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

    ReplyDelete