Monday, December 30, 2013

Well of Chaos: Figure 56 of 265

With all that was going on this holiday week, I knew I wouldn't  have time to paint a complicated figure, so I chose the Well of Chaos from the Dungeon Dressing set to work on.  I  began, as usual, with soaking the figure overnight in some water with a little dish soap added, and then rinsed it and let it dry.  I then glued it to a one and a quarter inch fender washer and primed it with Krylon Camouflage with Fusion Flat Black. I then glued it to a tongue depressor for ease of handling during painting.
I began by giving the fountain a heavy drybrushing with Folk Art "Dapple Gray".
I then drybrushed a little lighter with Folk Art "Gray Green".
Finally I added some drybrushed highlights with Folk Art "Celadon Green".  I wanted to make the fountain look like it was working, so I decided I would add a stream of water pouring from the spout just below the face and into the pool below.  So, I snipped about an inch of a fiber optic strand, from an old Christmas light cover I have, to use as the water stream. I then took the pointy end of an old drawing compass and made a small hole in the pool base of the fountain.
I then finished some minor additions to the painting. First, I added some algae or mossy patches around the basin with Americana "Leaf Green", then I added some water ripples in the basin by painting some stippled concentric circles with white paint around the hole I stuck in he basin's bottom.  Finally, I painted the base with Duncan's "Slate Gray". When this was done and had time to dry, I painted the whole thing in  Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish"; and then after it had time to dry, I sprayed it with Testors "Dullcote".  I now glued my section of fiber optic strand into place with super glue, and lastly I painted the bottom of the basin with Cermacoat "Gloss Varnish" to help with the illusion of water.
I'm pleased with how this quick project turned out.  I will make a nice scenic detail piece.

Figure 56 of 265: Complete.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice! I have mine primered and just about ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water effect turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a great little touch. Excellent. And 56 figures is certainly nothing to sneeze at. I don't think I've painted that many all year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for the positive comments! I'm looking forward to reaching the 66 figure mark, and breaking the less than 200 figures remaining point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent job!! You have a knack for visualizing the right colors and combinations on your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually start thinking about colors a few days before I apply any paint.

      Delete