Monday, October 18, 2021

Halloween Knight: Bones 5 Figure, Part 1

     This past week I started work on the "Halloween Knight" from the Bones 5 Core Set.  Given the time of year, I thought I'd take a break from working on the Dwarf King's Crypt, and do one of the Halloween figures that came in Bones 5.  Unfortunately, I didn't get it done on time, so will post the rest of the painting information next Monday.
     I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then trimmed the figure's integral base a little, and glued the figure to a 1" primed metal washer with some Aleene's Tacky glue.  I then put the figure into my painting grip.       
     To start, I painted all the armor and the sword with Ceramcoat "Black".  When the "Black" was dry, I drybrushed the armor with Reaper MSP "Scorched Metal".  I then drybrushed the shoulder pieces with Folk Art Brushed Metal "Brushed Bronze".  After that, I drybrushed the scale armor skirt with Folk Art Color shift "Black Flash". 
     Next, I painted the lining of the cape with Pathfinder MSP "Urgathea Red", and then the did the hands with Reaper MSP "Alien Flesh".  After that, I painted the back of the shield with Reaper MSP "Nightmare  Black", and used the "Brushed Bronze" to paint the skull on the left of the chest armor and the little coffin on the right, as well as defining the base of the shoulder pieces.  I let everything dry for a while, and then gave the armor and the hands a coat of Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.
     When the "Nuln Oil" was dry, I drybrushed the plate armor with a mix of the base "Scorched Metal, and some Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver".  Next, drybrushed the scale armor with the base "Black Flash" with a little of the "Metallic Silver mixed in as well, and the shoulder pieces with Folk Art Metallics "Pure Gold".  I then used the "Pure Gold to touch up the armor skull and coffin with a regular brush. After that, I painted the outer layer of the cape with Reaper MSP "Coal Black", and then painted the dagger sheath and coffin-lid shield face with Crafter's Acrylic "African Violet". I also painted the pumpkin head with Crafter's Acrylic "Orange Spice". 
     Next, I painted the shield face with Folk Art Color Shift "Purple Flash", and then painted the sword with Folk Art Metallic "Gunmetal Gray".  After that, I painted the design on the shield and parts of the sword hilt with Americana "Antique Gold". 
   And that's where I am now.   I hope to finish it up this week, and have it ready to post on Monday. See you all then.
    Part 2, the completion on the figure, can be found here: Part 2

4 comments: