Monday, April 19, 2021

Oman Ruul, Wizard: Bones 4 Figure

      This past week I painted "Oman Ruul, Wizard" from the Bones 4 Greybeards set.  
      I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then trimmed the figure's integral base a little, and glued the figure to a 1" plastic base with some superglue.  I then placed the figure in my painting grip.   
     I began by painting his face and hands with Reaper MSP "Rosy Skin".  I then painted his robes with Pathfinder MSP "Urgathea Red", and his cape with Reaper MSP HD "Indigo Blue". 
     Next, I painted his collar, hat, and sash with Anita's "Violet", and his shoes with Americana "Cranberry Wine".  After that, I painted his beard and hair with Americana "Zinc", and his bracelet and the skull emblem on the back of his collar with Americana "Antique Gold".
         I let everything dry for a while, and then I gave his face and arms a coat of Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash.  When this was dry, I gave his entire outfit and beard a coat of Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.  When these washes were dry, I panted his eyes, and then did his teeth with Americana "Bleached Sand"  After that, I highlighted his skin with the base "Rosy skin", and some Reaper MSP "Rosy Highlight".
        I then highlighted his robes with the base "Urgathea Red", and then mixed in a little Reaper MSP 'Breast Cancer Awareness Pink" for further highlighting.  After that, I highlighted his cape with the base "Rich Indigo", and then mixed in a little Reaper MSP "Frosty Blue" for further highlighting.  I followed that by highlighting his collar, hat, and sash with the base "Violet", and then mixed in a little Apple Barrel "Apple Lavender" for further highlights.
     Next, I highlighted his shoes with the base "Cranberry Wine" with a little of the "Breast Cancer Awareness Pink" mixed in.  I then highlighted his beard and hair with the base Z'inc", and then mixed in a little Crafters Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey".  After that I painted his bracelet and the skull on his collar with Folk Art Metallics "Pure Gold", and highlighted it with some Ceramcoat "Wedding Gold".  
     I then worked on the orb, painting it with Citadel Contrast "Templar Black".  When that was dry, I repainted it with Folk Art "Color Shift" "Black Flash".  While it was still wt, I added in thin swirls of Deco Art Metallic "Festive Red".  Lastly, I painted the figure's base with the "Mississippi Mud".
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. I then used some white glue to glue some fine sand to the base.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with a coat of Americana "Charcoal Grey". When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with the "Mississippi Mud", and then with some Apple Barrel "Rock Grey"; lastly I drybrushed it with a little Americana "Dove Grey".  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote".   When the "Dullcote" was dry, I went back and repainted the orb with a little Americana "DuraClear Gloss" varnish.   



     I'm really happy with how this guy turned out.  I had originally planned to do the orb as a glowing light blue color, but I chickened out in the end not wanting to risk the paint job I had done.  So, I went with more of a loose LOTR Palantir look. 
      

2 comments:

  1. This is a fun sculpt, and I think that the orb turned out very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you liked the orb! I'm pleased with it, but it's hard to see in the photos.

      Delete