Monday, June 15, 2020

Dark Elf Female Warrior: Darkreach Figure

      This past week I painted the "Dark Elf Female Warrior" from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a brown-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.

      I began by painting the figure with Ceramcoat "Black".  When dry, I drybrushed the armor with Folk Art Color Shift "Black Flash".   When the "Black Flash" was dry,  I went over it again with a light drybrush of Reaper MSP "Aged Pewter".  After that I painted the face, knees, and hands with Reaper MSP "Dark Elf Skin".
      Next, I painted her skirt with Reaper MSP HD "Rich Indigo", and her tunic with Pathfinder MSP "Urgathoa Red".  After that, I painted her cape with Crafter's Acrylic "African Violet", her boots with Americana "Charcoal", and then her hair with Americana "Grey Sky".
I then painted her belt, pouch, and sword grips with Americana "Asphaltum". After that, I painted a diamond pattern along the hem of her cape with Reaper MSP "Breast Cancer Awareness Pink" as the base of the pattern, and then added central dots in each diamond with Americana "Tutti Fruitti.   I let the figure dry for a while, and then gave the whole thing a coat of Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.
 When the wash was dry, I painted the eyes, then highlighted the face, legs, and hands with the base "Dark Elf Skin", and some Reaper MSP "Dark Elf Highlight".  I then highlighted her skirt with a mix of the base "Rich Indigo", and some of the "Breast Cancer Awareness Pink".   After that I highlighted her tunic with the base "Urgathoa Red" mixed again with some of the "Breast Cancer Awareness Pink".
     Next, I highlighted the cape with a mix of the base "African Violet" and some Apple Barrel "Apple Lavender".  I then highlighted the decorative border on the cape with some of the "Tutti Frutti".  After that, I highlighted her hair with Americana "Snow White", and then did highlights on the belt and pouch with some Folk Art "Teddy Bear Brown".
     After that I painted the swords, and belt buckle, with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey". I followed with giving them highlights with some Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver".  I also used the "Metallic Silver"  to paint the cording hanging from her shoulder. Lastly, I painted the entire base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. I then used some white glue to glue some fine sand to the base.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with a coat of Americana "Charcoal Grey". When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with the "Mississippi Mud", and then with some Apple Barrel "Rock Grey"; lastly I drybrushed it with a little Americana "Dove Grey".
      Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote".

     I'm generally happy with how she turned out.  There's couple things I'm not pleased with like the the hair on the back of her head, which I got a little sloppy on; and the border on her cape, which I rushed (I've learned I don't have a lot of patience with repeating geometric patterns).  But for a game table figure I'm more than content.

No comments:

Post a Comment