Monday, January 20, 2020

Dreadmere Mercenary: Bones 4 Dreadmere Figure with Citadel Contrast Paint

   This past week I painted one of the Dreadmere Mercenary figures from the Bones 4 Dreadmere Expansion.  For Christmas, a friend gave me a set of the new Citadel Contrast Paints, and I thought this figure with its plain and simple outfit would be a good one to try them out on. 
     I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a brown-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
     It was my understanding that the Contrast Paint worked best over a primer coat, so I began by painting the figure with Ceramcoat "White".
     When the figure was dry, I painted the face and hands with Citadel Contrast "Guilliman Flesh". I then painted his pants with Citadel Contrast "Aggaros Dunes" and his tunic with  Citadel Contrast "Creed Camo".
     Next,  I painted his coat with  Citadel Contrast "Basilicanum Grey", and his boots and belt with  Citadel Contrast "Wyldwood".  After that, I painted his pouch with  Citadel Contrast 'Snakebite Leather", and the scabbard on his back with Citadel Contrast "Talassar Blue".
     I then painted his hair with Citadel Contrast "Skeleton Horde".  After that I did some work with my regular paints, painting the scabbard belt in his hand with Americana "Light Cinnamon", and the grip of the sword with Americana "Asphaltum".  I also painted the metal fittings on the sword and scabbard with Americana "Zinc".
     Next, I painted his eyes; and afterwards painted the buckles, clasps on his tunic and metal fittings on the sword and scabbard, all with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  I then put a little Citadel Agrax Earthshade" wash on the scabbard belt, and after that I highlighted the metal bits with some Citadel "Mithril Silver".   Lastly, I painted his base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
         I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote".

     Hmmm...   I think it's okay, but I am not immediately won over.   I find the results to be splotchy and lacking the true, defined, shadows and highlights that my usual; painted base coat, dark wash, and painted highlights, method gives.  And maybe it's the colors I had to work with, but the figure looks tonally all the same mid range; I don't get a real sense of light and dark colors.
     That all being said, I think the figure came out looking perfectly serviceable as a gaming figure. And I want to experiment more with the Contrast Paint on different things like terrain and monsters.
     I will also say, that simultaneously with this figure, I was also using these paints on some mass-unit based figures,  and I think this is where these paints may shine.  The figures below were all Contrast Paint except the blue jackets, red facings, and the metal bits, and I think here is where this paint might find their purpose.  They made painting this assembly-line type of figure really easy to do; and grouped together on bases like this, where your eyes see the unit and not the individual, I think the paints really work to give a good fast and easy result.


  1. I’m not sure I get the point of using a Contrast Paint versus a normal basecoat and shade/wash. Did the paints save time?

    1. Yes, the point of the Citadel Contrast Paint is that when it goes on it pools in the recesses and thins on the high points; so they save time by providing shadows and highlights all at one time with one coat of paint. And, yes, it took me a much shorter time to paint this figure than if I had added the steps of applying washes and then going back and adding highlights. But, in my opinion, that savings in time came at a cost of quality of the paint job.

  2. That's interesting, I'm trying them as well, and I think you're right, they are designed for table top standard for units. I'm using them for my Trident Realm.
    I have a friend who is trying them on unprimed Bones Black

    1. I absent-mindedly applied some to a Bones Black piece I hadn't primed yet and was surprised that it looks perfectly fine without the primer. So your friend might be on to something. :)

  3. Interesting! If it's not too rude to say so, I don't think the results of the Contrast experiment on the Dreadmere bloke are even close to your usual standards. Your formation of little guys on the other hand look great!

    1. Thanks, Stephen! You're not being rude at all; as I agree he doesn't look that great. As I said in the write up, mass units is where Contrast Paint will be the best use I think. I'll go back to my regular old ways for single figures. :)