This week I took a break from painting Goblins, and instead worked on Shaeress, the Dark Elf Queen, from the BBEG set. I hadn't looked up this figure in Reaper's webstore before I painted it, (I feel seeing painted examples of a figure before I myself paint it, has the potential to sway my own ideas on color scheme.) so I didn't know she was a Dark Elf. If I had, I might have chosen a different color scheme, and gone for a more Drow look to her skin and features. As it was, I wasn't sure what I was dealing with when I first studied this figure. She seemed to be in finery that was torn and tattered (The best I could guess from the sculpting. This is another one of those figures that I sometimes had no idea what I was looking at on the figure.) So, I imagine that she was some sort of Elf princess that had fallen under a dark influence (So I wasn't too far off). Now, I find my go-to palette when painting Bad Guys, is more often than not, red and/or black. So, with this figure I decided I wanted to do something different, so I thought I would go for a kind of sickly, swampy, green look. This color scheme would also fit into my mental idea that she was some sort of fallen elf.
I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's White Glue. I began painting by giving her a wash with thinned black ink with a tiny pin-point drop of dishsoap added to help it flow into the crevices and help show the sculpting outlines.
I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish". Later that afternoon I flocked the base, and the next day I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote" spray varnish.
Figure 125 of 265: Complete