Monday, January 27, 2014

Devona, Female Wizard: Figure 62 of 265

This week I worked a little more on trying to complete the original 30 New Bones set, by painting Devona, the Female Wizard.  This is another one of those figures that baffled me as to what exactly she was wearing. It appeared to be all frills and bows, but then there was distinctly what looked like a chain-mail skirt hanging down, and her legs looked like they had plate mail joints??? I thought at first she was holding a spear (which was miscast, by the way.) and was surprised to find out she was supposed to be a wizard...so I guessed it was supposed to be a staff, not a spear?  That made the miscast spear-point (staff top?) a little less worrisome.
    I decided I would paint her to accent the Little-Bo-Peep look of the sculpt and use a lot of pink and white. To begin with, I soaked the figure in dish soap and water, and then gave it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush and rinsed it. I then glued it to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue.  When dry, I glued the washer to a half a tongue depressor with a couple small dots of Elmer's white glue for ease of handing during painting. So, getting started, I gave the whole figure a wash with some diluted black ink with a tiny drop of dish soap added to help me tell exactly what the details of her outfit looked like.  I then painted whatever I thought looked like armor with black.

This was followed with drybrushing the armor areas with Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter".
I then painted her skin with Apple Barrel "Apple Flesh".  Next, I drybrushed her cape and gloves with white, being careful not to get any on the armor.  The cape and gloves already had nice shading on them from the black ink wash, so the white drybrushing gave them  nice highlights.  This was followed with painting her top, and the trim of the chain-mail, with Apple Barrel "Apple Maroon"; and her big bow, and the two scalloped hangings down her back, with Apple Barrel "Apple Light Pink". Lastly, I painted her hair with Accent "Mustard Seed", and what appeared to be straps running from her breastplate around her torso with Accent "Real Umber"
Now, I gave her skin areas, and her "Apple Maroon" top a wash with slightly diluted Winsor-Newton "Peat Brown ink. When this was dry, I gave all the parts of her that were painted "Apple Light Pink" a wash with slightly diluted Iron Wind Metals "Red" ink.
    After the washes had time to dry, I went back and added highlights to her skin, and her top, and her bow, and the hanging s down her back, with the original base colors.  I also added some white details to her bow, and the fringe at the top of her sleeves. Next I carefully drybrushed her hair with, first, Accent "Golden Harvest", and then highlighted with Americana "Moon Yellow". I then painted her eyes, and lips. I then added some highlights to her armor with GW "Chainmail". Finally, I painted the heart buckle on her bow with Ceramcoat "14K Gold"
   Next, I worked on her staff.  First I painted it with the "Real Umber", and then the ribbons on it with the "Apple Light Pink". I then gave it a wash with some slightly diluted "Peat Brown" ink. I then went back and added some highlights to the staff ribbon with the "Apple Light Pink"
     Lastly, I decided I'd try to paint the stone in her staff to look like a hunk of unpolished Rose Quartz, so I first painted it GW "Tanned Flesh", and then gave it a drybrush with the "Apple Light Pink", and then added some highlights with white.   
    When everything had dried, I gave the entire figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish", and then when this had dried, I flocked the base.  The next day, I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".
   I'm pleased with how the paint scheme worked out on this.  It certainly makes for an eccentric figure!

Figure 62 of 265: Complete    


8 comments:

  1. I like how the quartz staff came out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another nice one! In my news, I got my goblins in the mail and 2 were missing arms!. I am getting them replaced, and then will attempt a first try at painting. Any SBH games to look forward to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Surprised to hear about your goblins. Were they molding errors, or had they been chopped off? There are some minor molding errors in some of the Bones I have from the Kickstarter (the one above being an example) but nothing as serious as missing limbs.
      Sorry, but no Bones SBH games on the schedule currently.

      Delete
  3. Very, very nice. I certainly wouldn't have chosen that kind of colour scheme but it works extremely well on this model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! So what direction would you have gone with the colors?

      Delete
  4. A very strange sculpt indeed. I think you did a very good job at it.

    Looks very Tim-Burton-Alice-in-Wonderland like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I agree with your Alice idea. It would be interesting to see her done up in Alice's usual blue and white look.

      Delete