Monday, March 14, 2022

Dire Cabbage: Bones 5 Fan Favorites Figure

    This past week I painted the "Dire Cabbage" from the Bones 5 Fan Favorites Expansion.  
    I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then trimmed the figure's integral base a little, and glued the figure to a 1" black-primed metal washer with some Aleene's Tacky glue.  I then placed the figure in my painting grip.   
     I began by painting the entire figure with Americana "Olive Green".  I then heavily drybrushed it with Ceramcoat "White".
     I let the first coats dry for a while, and then gave the entire figure a coat of thinned Citadel  Contrast "Creed Camo".  When this was dry, I went back and dry brushed it again with the base "Olive Green", and then drybrushed with the "White". 
               Next, I went over his legs with a coat of Citadel Contrast "Aggaros Dunes".  I then painted the mouth with Anita's "Violet", and the spikes on his tail with Crafter's Acrylic "African Violet" .  After that, I mixed a little Reaper MSP "Breast Cancer Awareness Pink" into the "African Violet", and blended in some lighter tips on the tail spikes.
          I then painted his claws with Folk Art "Barn Wood", and his teeth with Reaper MSP "Bleached Linen". After that, I painted the eye socket with Citadel Contrast "Wyldwood". 
      I let the claws and teeth dry for a while, and then gave then a coat of Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash.  When the wash was dry, I highlighted the claws with the base "Barn Wood", and the teeth with the base "Bleached Linen".  After that, I painted the eye with Reaper MSP "Holy Berry".  I went back then and did spot highlights on the teeth, and a pinpoint highlight in the eye, using some Ceramcoat "White".  Lastly, I painted the base with Americana "Charcoal Grey". 
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. When dry, I used some white glue to glue a mix of dried used coffee grounds and nutmeg to the figure's base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote". 



     I'm really happy with this little guy!  It is such a fun and imaginative figure; and there's a lot of detail in the sculpt which made painting it a lot of fun.  




5 comments:

  1. I really like the little tail! A great little sculpt that will surely strike fear into the hearts of every cabage hater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! Will there be some dire corned beef to go with it, for later this week? 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Norman! Ha! I didn't even make the connection with St. Patrick's Day being this week. :D

      Delete
  3. Darn it, I thought this was an off week. Great work, certainly a menacing paint job for the natural enemy of the halfling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And, doh! You're right; This IS an off week. Well, obviously I failed my calendar skills roll. :P Don't know how I managed to make that mistake.

      Delete