Monday, March 22, 2021

Sabertooth Pug: Bones 4 Figure

     This past week I painted the "Sabertooth Pug" figure from the Bones 4 Trolls Set.  The first thing I did was to Google pictures of pugs to get an idea of the coloring I needed to achieve.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I trimmed down the base a little, and then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.5" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue.  I then placed the figure in my painting grip.    

     I began by painting the entire figure with Reaper MSP "Graveyard Bone".  When dry, I gave the entire figure a coat of Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash.
     When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the figure.  First with the base "Graveyard Bone", then with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White", and lastly a little Ceramcoat "White".  I tried to apply it heavier towards the bottom to represent the lighter underbelly.
      Next, I painted his ears and muzzle with a mix of Ceramcoat "Black" and Americana "Charcoal Grey".  I then drybrushed this color around his whole face, and down the center of his back.  After that, I painted his eyes and nose with just the "Black", and his fangs with Americana "Antique White".  I let the fangs dry, and then painted a little Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash at the tops to give them a better delineation from the figure's upper lip.
     I then painted his claws with the "Black", and added highlight dots to his eyes with the "White".  After that, I highlighted the fangs with the base "Antique White", then some Americana "Bleached Sand", and lastly, a little of the "White". Lastly, I painted his base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote". When the "Dullcote" was dry, I went back and repainted the eyes with a little Americana "DuraClear Gloss" varnish.



     In general, I'm pleased with how this fellow turned out.  It's a fun little figure and was fun to paint.  

2 comments:

  1. At first I had not realized what I had read in the title. But this is in point of fact a sabertooth pug! Very nice and whimsical miniature! And I love the different browns you put into it's coat - dogs among others really lend themselves to paint with a real life template!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I agree completely with the use of real life templates.

      Delete