I got a set of 5 of these Dark Dwarves with the Bones 4 Kickstarter, then was lucky enough to pick up 4 more in a trade; then luckily, the free October Bones Black figure from Reaper turned out to be the Dark Dwarf "Pounder" figure, supplying me with the 10th one I would need to make a unit.
I planned to use the two "Irontongue Priests" as the command figures for my unit; so I kept one the way it was originally sculpted to be the main leader. For the other, I trimmed down the wings on the helmet, and cut the spike out of the other hand. I then cut his pointer finger free and bent it out to make him look like he was pointing.
Next, I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued them to 1" black-primed fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue. I then glued the figures in onto tongue depressors.
I set the two Priests/Leaders aside, and began on the trio of "Pounders"; painting them entirely with the "Black". When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with the "Gunmetal Grey". I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of the "Metallic Silver"
I let all the washes dry, and then I painted thier eyes, and then highlighted their faces and hands with Crafter's Acrylic "Flesh". After that, I highlighted the lefthand pair's beard with Crafter's Acrylic "Pure Pumpkin", and the righthand one's beard with Americana "Sable Brown". Next, I did highlights on the pouches with the "Light Cinnamon", and highlighted the tunics highlights with Reaper MSp "Holly Berry". After that, I did spot highlights on the armor and weapons with the "Metallic Silver". Lastly, I painted the bases with "Americana "Mississippi Mud".
I let all the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor's "Dullcote".
I'm happy with them. They're simple, but I think they'll make a fine gaming unit. Now I've got the other five figures of the unit to paint for next week.