This past week I decided to continue to work on the Bones 2 Heroes I set, and I painted the Kristianna figure.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.
So, I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
Next, I went back and went over the sword and armor with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey", and then highlighted it all with Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver". After that, I painted the sword hilt, tiara, and necklace, with Ceramcoat "Bronze", and highlighted them with Ceramcoat "Wedding Gold".
Lastly, I painted the figure's integral base with the "Bittersweet Chocolate".
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.
While I was waiting for the figure to dry and get it's varnish coat, I began to work on the shield. I began by painting the face with Americana "Shading Flesh", and then I painted the hood and the bow underneath with the "Cranberry Wine" I also painted the back of the shield, where the head was, with the "Cranberry Wine" so the entire head area would be opaque from front and back.
Now was the moment of truth... Once again I carefully squeezed the shield into he spot between the underside of the headpiece and the upwards curl of the ribbon-like hanging. However, this time I noticed that, while the shield fit in the area, when I looked around back behind the shield I realized her arm didn't actually come into contact with the back of the shield; there was about 2mm of space between them at the widest point! In my rush to get started I hadn't actually checked about contact with the arm. And the shield did not sit close enough to the body that I could just fudge it.
This meant I'd have to do some after-painting trimming, which I was not looking forward to. In the end, I game to the realization that the whole lower curve of the ribbon was just going to have to go; so I cut that off and trimmed it back until the ends of it sat more flush with the line of the arm. I also had to go in and trim more of the headpiece's overhang. Finally, I got it where the shield would actually sit up against her arm, without doing too much damage to the paint job. Phew!
Once the glue was good and dry, I gave the shield a coat of the "Duraclear "Matte" varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote".