Monday, November 18, 2019

Merrowyn Lightstar, Female Elf Paladin: Bones 4 Figure

     This past week I painted Merrowyn Lightstar, Female Elf Paladin, from the Bones 4 Original Core Set.  Like last week's figure, I needed this elf to act as a commander for a game I was going to be doing at the Fall-In convention this past weekend.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
  I started by painting the figure entirely with Ceramcoat "Black".  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with  Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of Citadel "Mithril Silver".
      Next, I painted the face and hands with Crafter's Acrylic "Flesh", and then the cloth  with Americana "Wedgewood Blue".  I then painted the scabbards, and belts with Americana "True Blue", and the sword blade with Americana "Zinc".  After that, I painted the shield with Reaper MSP Bones "Tropical Blue", and the back of the shield with Crafter's Acrylic "Navy Blue". I then did her hair with Americana "Light Cinnamon", and the sword grip with Americana "Asphaltum". I also painted the border of the shield with Americana "Grey Sky", and did the metal canister at her waist with Reaper MSP "Aged Pewter".
     I let everything dry for a while, and then gave the face and hands a coat of  Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash.   When that was dry, I gave the clothing, scabbards, and shield, all a coat of Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.  Lastly, I gave her hair a coat of Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash.
      When the washes all were dry, I painted her eyes using the "True Blue", and then highlighted her skin with an unnamed Reaper Sample paint I have.  After that, I highlighted her hair, first with the some Americana "Sable Brown" and then with some Americana "Fawn".
 Next, I highlighted her waist drape with some of the base color "Wedgewood Blue" mixed with some Crafter's Acrylic "Dark Turquoise".  I also highlighted the shield with Crafter's Acrylic "Tropical Blue".   After that, I highlighted his boots and scabbards with the Reaper MSP "Tropical Blue", and then used Americana "Snow White" to paint the decoration on the shield, and highlight the border. 
     I then moved on to the metallics, painting the sword with the "Gunmetal Grey", and then doing highlights with the "Mithril Silver".   Lastly, I painted the base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote".

     I'm pleased with how she came out considering she got a very rushed job done on her.  She performed well in the game however, helping to defeat a Giant  that was allied with a squad of Dwarves which blocked the road  down which she and her company were trying to advance.

As requested, here is a photo of the shield.  It was rushed, so doesn't look its best this close up.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Nice work as always, and it's great to see an in-game shot as well. Any chance of a close up of the shield?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, misterc! I have added a shot of the shield to the post.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. That's a nice bit of work (of course). You're and inspiration.

      Delete
    3. Thank you again, misterc! Though in all fairness I must admit the design is molded onto the shield, so I just needed to carefully follow the lines. :)

      Delete