Over the past two weeks I managed to work on three more Goblins from the Dungeon Attack set, in between doing work for the games I'm running at the Cold Wars convention . As I mentioned in my previous Goblin posts, I didn't want to paint them the same old green that has become so common for Goblins, so I consulted the D & D Monster Manual, and read up on Goblins. It said that their skin color ranged from yellow, to dull orange, to brick red...nothing about green. So, I decided to go with the middle of the range and paint them a dull orange-ish.
To begin with though, I prepped them in the usual way; soaking in water with a bit of dish soap added, giving a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush, then rinsing and drying. Afterwards, I primed them with Krylon Camouflage Flat Black with Fusion. I then glued them to 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a coupe small dabs of Elmer's white glue, for ease of handling during painting.
Like last time, I began by painting all their exposed skin areas with Accent "Golden Oxide". Next, I painted their Tunics with Folk Art "Butter Pecan", and the padded jerkin on the archer with Anita's "Burnt Sienna". For the fur areas on the neck of the mace Goblin, and the boots of the spear Goblin, I dry brushed the areas with Folk Art "Medium Gray". I then painted their hats with GW "Scortched Brown".
I painted the shields with Americana "Cadmium Red" and with Black; doing a striped pattern on the mace Goblin's shield, and a primitive grimacing face on the spear Goblin's. Then I did the backs of the shields with Ceramcoat "Walnut", and then all the straps and belts with Americana "Asphaltum". The Quiver I painted with Accent "Real Umber" and the arrow shafts with Crafter's "Spice Brown". I then painted the handle of the mace, bow, and spear shaft with the "Spice Brown". Next, I painted the fletchings by dry brushing them with the "Medium Gray."
My next step was to work on the stonework bases they were standing on. I painted these with Duncan "Slate Grey", and then painted the blobs of vegetation sitting on the stones with DecoArt "Forest Green". Lastly I painted most of the metal armor, weapon and shield parts, and buckles with Accent "Princely Pewter". The buckle on the archer's belt, the band on the spear Goblin's right leg, and the shin guard on the mace Goblin's left leg, I did in Ceramcoat "Bronze"
Lastly, I painted their teeth and the claws on their feet with Americana"Buttermilk". When all the paint was dry, I washed the figures completely with some watered down Winsor-Newton Peat Brown Ink.
When the ink wash dried, I added highlights to their skin and clothing by repainting some of the raised areas with the base color. I also added some highlights to the metal parts with Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter", and highlighted their teeth and claws with the "Buttermilk". I also painted their eyes with the "Buttermilk", and added black pupils. Then, after everything had time to dry, I painted on a coat of Ceamcoat "Matt Varnish". When this had dried I flocked the bases. Even though they were sculpted to look like dungeon floors, I wanted to use my Goblins in outdoor settings, so I flocked them to look like perhaps the Goblins were standing on parts of old ruins or an overgrown path. After the flock had dried, I sprayed the figures with Testor's Dullcote.
As I wrote before, I'm pleased with how these are turning out. I can't wait to see them all grouped together.
Now there's only 3 more Goblins in the set to do.
Figures 67-69: Complete