Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Malvernis Soldier: Bones 4 Chronoscope Figure

        This week I painted the "Malvernis Soldier" from the Bones 4 Chronoscope Expansion.  Like the Rach Soldier I did earlier, I have no idea what the official CAV faction colors are, so I did what I found pleasing.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then trimmed the figure's integral base a little, and glued the figure to a 1" green-primed metal washer with some Aleene's Tacky glue.  I then placed the figure in my painting grip.    
     I began by painting the face and hands with a mix of Pathfinder MSP "Medusa Green" and Reaper MSP "Olive Skin".  I then painted the outfit with Crafter's Acrylic "Navy Blue"; and the boots, belts, straps, and pouches with Americana "Zinc".
     Next, because I found I had been painting all my Sci-Fi weaponry black and wanted a change, painted the gun with Pathfinder MSP "Urgathea Red".  A red gun; why not! :)   I then painted the hair with Apple Barrel "Apple Black Green".  When everything had time to dry I gave the skin a coat of Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash; and when that was dry, I gave the outfit and gun a coat of Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.
     When the washes were dry, I painted the eyes, and then highlighted the skin with a mix of the base "Medusa Green" and "Olive Skin".  I then mixed Reaper MSP "Olive Highlight" with the "Medusa Green" for lighter skin highlights.  After that, I highlighted the hair with Americana "Forest Green", and then did the outfit highlights with Reaper MSP "Ultramarine Blue".
     I decided the hair highlights weren't bright enough, so I added some Americana "Festive Green" to lighten them up a little.  I then highlighted the boots, belts, straps and pouches with the base "Zinc", and then mixed in a little Crafter's Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey".   After that, I highlighted the gun with the base "Urgathea Red", then mixed in some Reaper MSP" Fresh Blood" for lighter highlights.  Lastly, I painted the base with Americana "Neutral Grey".  
      I let the figure and base dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.   Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor's "Dullcote". 


    I'm happy with the figure, and I like the splash of color the gun provides.  I only gave this a quick spray of the Dullcote, as I held the figure just out the door, becuase it was very humid out.  I can see now that it as not enough, or I didn't shake the can well enough, as it's still very shiny.  I will have to respray it when the humidity lowers.

   In other news, I received my Bones 5 shipping notification!  So next Monday's post will be a Bones 5 show and tell.  If you have anything from Bones 5 you want to see, and I ordered it, I will happily post a photo of it.  Let me know in the comments here.

My Consolidated List of Purchases:

1)Core                                                  
2) Brinewind Expansion                                                                                     
3) Dark Depths Expansion x2
4) Chronoscope Expansion
5) Dungeon Dwellers Expansion X2                                
6) Brinewind Extras
7) Dwarf King Crypt X2
8) Catfolk 
9) Catapult x2
10) War Mammoth
11) Trebuchet
12) Balista
13) Henchmen
14) Boulderkin
15) Zombies
16) Elves                                                   
17) Gem Dragon
18) Charnel Pit      
19) Armory
20)Foerster’s Favorites Paint
21)Fan Favorites
22)Townsfolk
23)Shadow of Ravenhome
24) Constructs set
25) Mandupar Pass
26) Shadow Dragon
27) Boulderkin, 2 sets

3 comments:

  1. Another useful figure, well painted, and again one that I wish they made more of.

    What did you get from Bones 5?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I have added a list of my Bones 5 items to the end of the article.

      Delete
    2. Oh, thanks!

      From that list I think I would like to see the Chronoscope, henchmen, and townsfolk... mostly because I can't remember what else is in the other ones!

      Reaper is going to reopen the pledge manager next week, so I might think of something else I want to see. :)

      Delete