Monday, May 17, 2021

Reeve Irremborg Planomap: Bones 4 Dreadmere Figure (Completed)

     I'm going to try something different this week.  Once again, over the past week my painting time was cut short, and I was not able to complete this week's figure.  But instead of posting nothing, and just putting it all off until next week, I thought I'd post as far as I've gotten today, and then add the rest when I complete it, which I hope will be Thursday.  Let's see how this works out.
     So, this past week I painted "Reeve Irremborg Planomap"  from the Bones 4  Dreadmere Expansion. While it's a relatively simple figure, it has a lot of fiddly details in all the buttons and embroidery sculpted into his clothing, and that was one thing that slowed me down.
    I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then trimmed the figure's integral base a little, and glued the figure to a 1" metal washer with some Aleene's Tacky glue.  I then placed the figure in my painting grip.   
     I began by painting his face and hands with Americana "Shading Flesh".  I then painted his coat, vest, and pants with Folk Art "Burgundy"; and his coat cuffs, collar, and the scalloping under the vest, with Americana "Antique White".  After that, I painted his cape, and shirt cuffs with Americana "Dove Gray".
     Next, I painted his hat, the strap across his chest, and his shoe with Ceramcoat "Black", and then painted his cane and wooden leg with Accent "Real Umber".   I then painted his hair and beard with Americana "Light Cinnamon", and the feather in his hat with the "Burgundy". 
     I then painted all the buttons, embroidered trim, and the fittings on his cane and wooden leg, with Accent "Mustard Seed".  I let this dry, and then painted over it with Folk Art Metallic "Pure Gold".  After everything had a while to dry,  I went back and gave everything, except the shirt cuffs and cape, a coat of Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash.   When this was dry, I gave the shirt cuffs and cape a coat of Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash. 
ADDED THURSDAY:    
 When the washes were all dry, I painted his eyes, and highlighted his face with Reaper MSP "Rosy Skin", and then Reaper MSP "Rosy Highlight".  Next, I highlighted his coat, vest, and pants with a mix of the base "Burgundy" and some Americana "Burgundy Wine".  I then did some lighter highlights with the "Burgundy Wine" mixed with some Crafter's Acrylic "Tutti Frutti".  I then moved to highlighting the fringe under his vest, his coat cuffs,  and coat lining using the base "Antique White", and then some Americana "Bleached Sand".
     Next, I highlighted his cape and shirt cuffs with the base "Dove Gray", and then some Americana "White".  I then went back and added ermine spots with the "Black".  After that, I highlighted the hat, shoe, and strap with Ceramcoat "Denim Blue".  I then moved on to his cane and wooden leg, highlighting them with Folk Art "Teddy Bear Brown".  Finishing up, I highlighted his beard with Accent "Golden Oxide", and ll th gold bits with Ceramcoat "Wedding Gold".   Lastly, I painted the figure's base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. I then used some white glue to glue some fine sand to the base.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with a coat of Americana "Charcoal Grey". When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with the "Mississippi Mud", and then with some Apple Barrel "Rock Grey"; lastly I drybrushed it with a little Americana "Dove Grey".  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote". 




     And here he is complete!  I'm generally happy with how he turned out.  As with so many of Reaper's figures, this little guy just has a ton of character! 

Here is a photo next to a wizard I recently featured here on the blog, to give a sense of the size of the Reeve Irremborg Planomap figure next to a human miniature.



9 comments:

  1. Great job on this one! The ermine looks great on the red.

    You have this tagged as a dwarf... is he a dwarf? From previous pictures I thought he was regular height and stout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had in my head he was a Dwarf, and when I just checked Reaper has him tagged as both a Dwarf and a Human in his online catalogue listing. So I guess he's usable as both/either...or maybe even a Half-Dwarf. I've added a photo of him with the wizard I did a few weeks go so you can get an idea of is size next to a Human mini.

      Delete
    2. And, thank you for your kind words regarding my painting on this one! :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the comparison shot! He is short and is sort of in the range for Reaper dwarves.

      Delete
  2. Another figure I'd completely overlooked, that your painting allows to shine. Patron-tastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this mini and have been gearing up to paint him myself. It's neat to see someone else's take on it, especially since your color scheme is so different from what I'm planning! Your color scheme gives him a real classic, regal look 👑

    ReplyDelete