This past week I painted the "Ghost of the Dwarf King Durman the Mad", and two of the "Everliving Flame" pieces, from the Bones 5 The Dwarf King's Crypt Encounter set. The set only comes with one of the Everliving Flame terrain pieces, but I ordered two of the Encounters as I wanted pairs of a number of the set's scenery items, as well as a bunch of the Dwarf Zombies that came with it.
As you can tell from my past entries, I've really had a lot of fun experimenting with all the translucent figures that came in this Kickstarter. This gave me an excuse to start working on the excellent Dwarf Kings Crypt set. I was interested to see what I could do with the King's ghost which had been cast in blue.
I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued the Dwarf King and the Flames to 1" primed metal washers, using Aleene's Tacky for the King, and some Gorilla Super Glue Gel glue for the Flames. I then put the King into my painting grip, and glued the Flames to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's School Glue.
Next, I turned to the Eternal Flames. Like the Dwarf King, I began by painting both the figures completely with Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. When dry, I started on the flames, and painted the bottoms with Citadel Contrast "Iyanden Yellow", and then painted the midsections with Citadel Contrast "Gryph-Hound Orange". After that, I painted the tops of the flames with Citadel Contrast "Blood Angels Red", and then a tiny bit of Citadel Contrast "Black Templar" at the very tips.
I then worked on highlighting the braziers, drybrushing with, first, Americana "Zinc", then, Crafter's Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey", and then a bit of Americana "Grey Sky". After that, I tried to do a bit of an OSL (object source lighting) effect by drybrushing the tops of the braziers, as well as the bottom where the flames leaned over the edge, with Crafter's Acrylic "Pure Pumpkin", Crafter's Acrylic "Bright Yellow", and the "Daffodil Yellow". I lastly used a bit of Reaper MSP "Holly Berry"
When everything was dry, I used some white glue to glue some sand onto the base of the Dwarf King. When this was dry I painted it with the "Black Templar". When that was dry, I drybrushed the edges of the base with some of the Crafter's Acrylic "Tropical Blue", and then I blended in some Crafter's Acrylic "Cool Blue" closer to the figure, to again try a little OSL effect to make it look like the ghost was glowing.
I let all the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.