This past week I painted a set of 4 of the "Maggotcrown Swordsman" figures as a first step in building a 12 man unit of the Maggotcrown soldiers from the Dreadmere Expansion. I had my original Maggotcrown soldier figures from the Kickstarter, and expanded my unit through trades and direct purchases from Reaper.
I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I wanted one of the Swordsmen to be the leader of the unit, so I cut his sword arm at the elbow and repositioned it, and then sculpted him a helmet crest using some greenstuff. I then glued them all to 1" brown-primed fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue. I then glued the washers onto a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's white glue.
Next, I highlighted the tunics with a mix of the base "Urgathoa Red" mixed with Reaper MSP Bones "Cinnamon Red". I then highlighted the tabards with Ceramcoat "Charcoal" followed with Americana "Zinc"; and followed that with highlighting the belts, gloves and shield straps with Citadel "The Fang". After highlighting those parts, I highlighted the shields and the officer's crest using Reaper MSP Holly Berry", and some Reaper MSP "Hearth Fire". Lastly, I did some highlights on the shoulder skulls and helmets with Reaper MSP "Sparkling Snow", and then painted the bases with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
I let the Swordsmen dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor's "Dullcote".