Monday, November 2, 2020

Dreadmere Mercenary, Axeman: Bones 4 Dreadmere Figure

  This past week I painted the "Dreadmere Mercenary, Axeman" from the Bones 4 Dreadmere Expansion.  With the Darkreach Expansion complete, I thought I'd start picking away at Dreadmere next.   
     Though I mostly paint with regular craft store acrylics, over the years I've managed to collect a few dozen Reaper paints.  Some have been freebies included with orders or giveaways through promos like their Goulie Bags and Stockings; some were purchased at a show were a dealer was clearing out old stock for $1 a bottle, others were bought for a buck each when Reaper cleared out the remains of their HD line; and some were purchased outright (mainly the skin triads) from Reaper.
    So with this fellow, I thought it would be a fun challenge to see if I could paint him entirely with Reaper paints.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a brown-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
     I began by painting his face and hands with Reaper MSP "Tanned Skin".  I then painted his shirt with Reaper MSP "Graveyard Bone", and his pants with Reaper MSP HD "Umber Brown".   After that, I painted his robes with Reaper MSP Pathfinder "Medusa Green". 
     Next, I painted the coat with Reaper MSP Pathfinder "Urgathoa Red"; and then painted the boots, belt, and sword grip with Reaper MSP HD "Golden Brown".  After that, I painted the scabbard with Reaper MSP HD "Rusty Red", and the axe handle with Reaper MSP "Turkey Brown".
    I then painted the axe head, sword fittings, and belt buckle with Reaper MSP "Dark Elf Skin", and the binging on the axe using Reaper MSP "Ginger Cookie".  After that, I painted his hair and beard with Reaper MSP "Pumpkin Orange"; and then attempted a plaid pattern on the coat with a cross-hatch of Reaper MSP "Coal Black", followed by a cross-hatch of Reaper MSP "Golden Glow". 
     Next, I painted the axe head, sword fittings and belt buckle again, this time with Reaper MSP "Aged Pewter".  I then let the figure dry for a while, and followed with applying a coat of Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade wash to his head and hands.  When that was dry, I applied a coat of Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash to the rest of the figure.
     I let the washes dry, and then painted his eyes, and highlighted his face and hands with the base "Tanned Skin", and Reaper MSP "Tanned Highlight".  After that, I highlighted his hair with "Hallowed Orange", and his shirt with Reaper MSP "Peppermint White". 
     Next,  I highlighted his robe with a mix of the base "Medusa Green" and the "Peppermint White".  I then highlighted his shoes and belts with Reaper MSP "Bronzed Skin", and his scabbard with a mix of the "Bronzed Skin" and the base "Rusty Red".  I followed up by highlighting the binding on the axe with the "Graveyard Bone", and the axe handle with a mix of the base "Turkey Brown" and the "Graveyard Bone". 
      I wasn't sure how even to begin highlighting a plaid jacket, nor was I sure I wanted to get involved with doing so, but I at least made and attempt to pick out highlights along the edges. I used Reaper MSP Bones "Cinnamon Red" mixed with the base "Urgathoa Red" for the red edges, the "Coal Black" mixed with a bit of the "Peppermint White" for the edges of the black stripes, and the base "Golden Glow" for the tips of the yellow stripes. 
     Lastly, I highlighted the axe blade, sword fittings and belt buckle with a mix of the base "Aged Pewter" and Reaper MSP "Sparkling Snow".  I wrapped things up by painting his base with some of the "Turkey Brown".
         I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote". 


     Well, in general I'm pleased.  It's not an award winning plaid coat, but it looks pretty good at arms length on the game table. It's a weird combination of colors, but I was limited by my assortment of Reaper paints.  I actually kind of like how it looks.

4 comments:

  1. Nice work on this guy. For some reason his coat reminds me a robe, so he looks like "angry guy telling those zombies to get off his lawn"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lasgunpacker! Yes, I think for some reason I was subconsciously thinking robe when I was painting it. He does kind of have that whole sleep-shirt/pajamas aspect to his entire outfit. All that's missing is slippers. :)

      Delete
  2. Love the coat! Very flashy to make him stand out! And the gleam on the axe looks good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, XE! He needed something to make him something more than another run-of-the-mill thug, so I thought why not plaid. :)
      Glad you like the "gleam" I'm finding just adding two diagonal stripes on weapons helps them look more metallic, so have been experimenting with it.

      Delete