Monday, June 6, 2016

Fire Elemental Familiar: Figure 221 of 266

   This past week I knew I was going to be short of time again, with just having returned from Nashcon, and the holiday on Monday; so I picked out one of the remaining figures from the Familiars set: the Fire Elemental.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a white-primed 7/8" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
      Rather than go with the usual red fire, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to again try the green fire I had used on the Kobold Shaman a couple weeks ago.  I began by paitning the entire figure with Nicole's "Neon Green".  When dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Iron Wind Metals "Dark Green" ink, using a wet brush.
      When the ink wash was dry, I mixed a little of the "Neon Green" with some White, and added highlights.    I then started working outwards toward the tips of the flames with slightly thinned Crafter's Acrylic "Holiday Green".
   Next, I added a further outer layer with Americana "Leaf Green", and lastly, I painted the tips of the flames with Accent "Forest Green".  I also used the "Forest Green" to paint the elemental's eye sockets.  Then I went back and added eyes with Folk Art "Metallic Emerald Green".   Lastly, I painted the figure's base White.
      When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" early the next morning.  Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock and late that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.

     Well, I'm generally pleased.   I'm not sure if I like it with the empty hollow eyes, or whether a pinpoint highlight in each might be an improvement.

Figure 221 of 266: Complete

2 comments:

  1. Nice job and compliments on giving her a nice booty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Though I think you need to thank the sculptor, not me, for the booty. :)

      Delete