Thursday, February 4, 2016

Bones II: A Trio Of Zombies

  I also completed three Zombies from the Bones II, Expansion I, Zombies set, for use in my Frostgrave games.   I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued one of the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue and the other to a black primed 1" fender washer.  I then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue each.
      I began by painting the skin of all the figures with GW "Rotting Flesh".  I then painted their clothing:  for Zombie-1 I painted the pants  with Ceramcoat  "Raw Sienna" and the shirt with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna",  Zombie-2 I painted the dress with Folk Art "Cloudy Day", and for Zombie-3 I painted the over shirt with Americana "True Blue" and Reaper MSP Bones "Cinnamon Red" and the under shirt  with Citadel Colour "Snakebite Leather"and the pants with Folk Art "Poppy Seed".
     I then painted their hair: Zombie-1 with Americana "Asphaltum", Zombie-2 with the "Raw Sienna", and Zombie-3 with Black.  Afterwards, I gave all three a complete wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush.
     When the wash was dry, I painted their teeth and eyes with Americana "Buttemilk".   I then painted Folk Art "True Burgundy" blood splatters here and there, and then followed with some Crafter's Acrylic "Christmas Red" to represent fresher blood".
      Lastly, I painted the bases White.  I then applied a little area of white glue to each base and sprinkled a couple bits of black gravel and some course black sand on each one.   When the glue was dry, I drybrushed the sand and gravel areas with Americana "Neutral Grey". Then drybrushed them with Crafter's Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey", then Folk Art "Porcelain Grey". When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  Then, the next morning, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock.  Later that afternoon I sprayed the figures with Testor's Dullcote.
          Nothing exciting, but a nice trio of Zombies to populate the frozen city.

4 comments:

  1. Great job on these mini's. I have been following your work and I stand amazed at your progress. Have you painted "other" miniatures along the way or have you stuck to your Reaper Miniatures exclusively?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan- Thanks for the kind remarks!
      Not sure if by "along the way" you mean "in my life", or "at the same time that I've been working on the Bones Kickstarters", so I'll answer both questions. :)
      From a lifetime perspective, I've been painting miniatures since the late 70's; so yes I have painted probably thousands s of miniatures other than Reaper. Everything from 54mm to 2mm, and from historical Ancients to Horse & Musket to Moderns, and Fantasy to Victorian Sci-Fi to Futuristic Sci-Fi, Metal, Soft Plastic, Hard Plastic; and there must be dozens of manufacturers.
      As far as my time since the Bones Kickstarters, I have painted other stuff as well, but as you can imagine my production has gone way down since much of my painting time is devoted to preparing the weekly Bones posts for this blog. Most of what I've done that isn't Reaper, since the Bones Kickstarters, has been 10mm Fantasy, thought there has been some 28mm stuff mixed in as game needs arise.
      I strongly urge you browse through my other general gaming blog, "One More Gaming Project",which is linked over in the right hand column of this blog. Though much of the more recent posts have been centered around my Frostgrave terrain building efforts, earlier posts contain some figure showcases. Also, any game report you see of games that I ran, you can assume that I painted the figures used in the game (unless specified otherwise).

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I was thinking about your time spent painting your Reaper miniatures, but it was kind of you to answer both questions.

      I have visited your "One more Gaming Project" on several occasions. Nice work their as well. I especially appreciated your Dollar Tree conversions. Necessity is the mother of all invention.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I love the Dollar Tree. It's always like a treasure hunt, and you cant beat the price!

      Delete