Monday, March 21, 2022

Floating Disc Spell Effect: Bones 5 Figure

      Well, last week I lost track of what week it was and posted a figure thinking it was the third Monday of the month, when in fact it was only the second Monday.  So I thought I'd do up a quick figure this week to get us back on the proper schedule.  At this point, I had painted all the Bones 5 Spell Effects that I got with my Kickstarter except the floating disc from the Core Set Spell Effects set.  So I thought I'd tackle that one for today.
           I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to 1" grey-primed metal washer with some Aleene's Tacky Glue.  I then glued the Floating Disc into onto a pill bottle with a couple drops of white glue.
 I began by painting the figure completely with Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.  When the varnish was dry,  I carefully painted the inscriptions on the disc with thinned Americana "Snow White". Thinned to help it flow into the lines and letters better.  I had some vague idea of trying to make the designs and letters look glowing.
     I then painted the disc with Citadel Contrast "Gryph-Hound Orange", and when dry, I painted the vapors under it with Citadel Contrast "Aethermatic Blue".  I had hoped the areas I had painted white would look brighter somehow, but I hadn't thought it through, and the Contrast paint just pooled in the inscribed recesses of the deigns and letters on the disc and ended up covering up the white and looking just plain orange like the rest of the disc.   So I set out to repaint the designs,   this time with thinned Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow".  When the "Daffodil Yellow" was dry, I went over it with some more of the thinned "Snow White". 
    Next, I painted the stonework base with Americana "Neutral Grey".  When dry, I gave the base a  wash with Citadel Shade "Nuln Oil". I let the "Nuln Oil" dry, and then drybrushed the base with, first, Folk Art "Gray Green" , and then, secondly, some Americana "Dove Grey".      
      The next day I gave all the piece a complete coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. 

     Well, I can't say I got any glowing effect.  Trying to do light effects on the translucent figures has always been challenging.  Still, it doesn't look bad; it's just a good serviceable figure.

3 comments:

  1. Looks cool! The perfect companion to transport those 50.000 copper pieces and crash the economy of the next town over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! The orange came out very well, such a great "magic" looking color that also sort of ties in the look of a flying carpet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had't considered the magic carpet aspect!

      Delete