Monday, September 16, 2019

Pig Cart: Bones 4 Figure

     This past week I painted the Pig Cart set from the Bones 4 Core Set.   This was another one of my favorites from Bones 4.
     I prepped the 2 pieces in the usual way, soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued the pig to a 1.5" to a black-primed 1" fender washer, and the cart to a 1.5" fender washer, both with Aleene's Tacky glue.  I then placed the pig figure in my painting grip, and attached the cart to a pill bottle with a little blue-tac.

     I began by painting the pig a mix of Apple Barrel "Apple Flesh" and "Apple Lt Pink".  I then painted the hooves with Americana "Asphaltum".
     Next, I gave the pig a coat of Citadel"Reikland Fleshshade" wash.   Then, when the wash was dry, I drybrushed the pig with, first, some Folk Art "Milkshake", and then some Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White".  After that, I highlighted the hooves with Americana "Mississippi Mud", and painted the nose and undersides of the ears with Crafter's Acrylic "Cherry Blossom Pink".   I wrapped the pig up by painting his eyes and nose holes with Ceramcoat "Black".  Then, lastly, I painted the entire base with "Americana "Mississippi Mud".

     Next, I got to work on the cart.   I first painted the cart with Reaper MSP Bones "Tropical Blue".  After that, I painted the wheel rims, harness fittings, and chain with Reaper MSP "Scorched Metal", and then did the harness strap with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna".
     I then worked on the harvest load in the back of the cart; painting some of the pumpkins with Crafter's Acrylic "Orange Spice", and some with Reaper MSP "Pumpkin Orange".  Next, I painted the apples with Americana "Cranberry Wine", and what looked like yams to me with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige".  I then painted the big squash with Crafter's Acrylic "Bright Yellow", the pumpkin stems with Duncan "Olive Green", and some leaves here and there with Americana "Forest Green".
     Next, I painted the log side pieces, and the corner pieces with Americana "Grey Sky". Then I did a little floral border pattern along the top of the front and back of the cart, and in the corners of the two sides.  I allowed all the paint time to dry, and then I gave the fruits and veggies in the cart a coat of Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash.  Then, when that wash was dry, I gave the rest of the cart a coat of Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.
     When the washes were dry, I highlighted the blue parts of the cart with Crafter's Acrylic "Tropical Blue".  I then highlighted the logs and corner pieces with Americana "Snow White", and the leather harness with some of the "Orange Spice".  After that, I highlighted the chain, wheel rims,  and metal fittings with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".
    Next, I worked on highlighting the fruit; using Crafter's Acrylic "Pure Pumpkin" for some of the pumpkins, and Americana "Tangerine" for the others.  I then highlighted the apples with a mix of the base "Cranberry Wine", an a little Crafter's Acrylic ""Tutti Frutti".  I also tried mixing in a little Americana "Margarita" with some of them to give them a some yellow-greenish areas.  The yams were highlighted with Folk Art "Butter Pecan, and the big Yellow squash with the base "Bright Yellow".  I then highlighted the pumpkin stems with Americana "Olive Green".  Lastly, I painted the entire base with "Americana "Mississippi Mud".
      I let the pig and cart dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to apply a sand mixture onto their bases.  When that was dry, I gae the sand a little drybrushing with Americana 'Bleached Sand".   Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the pieces with Testor's "Dullcote".



     I'm really pleased with this little set.  While I've seen a number of carts done in plain wood, I like the look of it painted up with a little decoration on it.

4 comments:

  1. The floralwork really is stuinning. Quite a nice figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! As I was painting it, I decided it needed a little something extra to make it look just right, so added the vines and flowers.

      Delete
  2. Nice blend of ugly and beautiful. Great painting and artistic philosophy of life demoed in this vignette.

    ReplyDelete