Monday, May 4, 2020

Christina, Female Cleric: Bones 3 Figure

     I'm happy to report that this past week I found my muse again and painted Christina, Female Cleric, from the Bones 3 Heroes II set.   This was a commission piece for a D&D player who wanted the figure painted as a Sea Elf with blue iridescent skin and green hair.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a brown-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
      Because this was cast in the white original white Bones material, I began by giving it a wash with some thinned Reaper MSP "Grey Liner" to help me see the details.   When the Liner was dry, I painted all her armor, her mace, and the back of her shield with Americana "Charcoal" and her face and hands with Folk Art Color Shift "Blue Flash".  I then painted her skirt and the back of her shield with Folk Art "Dove Grey".
     I then painted her tabard and shield face with Crafter's Acrylic "Dark Turquoise", and her two holy items (censer and reliquary?) and the padded material in her elbow joints with Accent "Mustard Seed".  After that, I painted her scabbard and bottle(?) with Americana "Wedgewood Blue" and then her hair with Apple Barrel "Apple Blue Spruce".
    Next, I painted her belts with Americana "Light Cinnamon".   I then went over her armor and the back of her shield with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey", and her mace, dagger fittings and bottle top with Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter".  After that, I gave her face and hands a wash with  thinned Reaper MSP "Blue Liner".
     I then painted her religious objects with Folk Art "Pure Gold", and then let everything dry for a while.  When I resumed, I gave her belts, accoutrements,  and skirt a light coat of some Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.  As that dried, I worked on her face and hands; painting her eyes, and then highlighting the skin with a mix of the base "Blue Flash" with some Crafter's Acrylic "Cool Blue".  After that, I highlighted her hair with a mix of the base "Apple Blue Spruce" and Crafter's Acrylic "Wild Green".
     Next, I highlighted the armor using first Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver", and then some Reaper MSP "Sparkling Snow".  I then highlighted her mace, dagger fittings and bottle top with Citadel "Mithril Silver" followed with a few spots of the "Sparking Snow".  Next, I highlighted her skirt with Americana "Snow White", followed by some Folk Art Extreme Glitter "Hologram".  After that, I highlighted her tabard and shield with  a mix of the base "Dark Turquoise" and some Folk Art "Patina".
     Up next were her scabbard and bottle which I highlighted with some Crafter's Acrylic "Tropical Blue".  I then highlighted the belts with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige".   I followed with highlighting the gold religious items with some DecoArt Metallic "Bright Brass".  I finished up by painting  some holy symbols for the cleric on the shield, and some decorations on the tabard.  And, lastly, I painted his base with Americana "Mississippi Mud", and applied some "spatter" around the hem of the skirt.
         I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote".

         I'm really pleased with how this figure turned out, particularly the face.  And, I'm especially glad to be back painting Bones again!

4 comments:

  1. As are we all! Slowly getting back to blogs myself... was too busy and down before to do it.

    Also as usual, I am impressed with your brushwork, and seeing the details of the figure makes me appreciate it more than the Reaper website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're getting back to blogging as well.

      Thanks for the kind words on this figure! It really is a neat character, and I too never really appreciated it until I had a chance to work on it.

      Delete
  2. Great to see you back in bussines! And with a great miniature at that - I really like the colours you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, XE! I think blues, greens, and whites, are some of my favorite colors to work with.

      Delete