Monday, November 11, 2019

Alandin, Elf Paladin: Bones 4 Figure

   This past week I painted Alandin, Elf Paladin, from the Bones 4 Core Set Elves group.  I needed a couple more leader figures for the Elf forces I'm using for my Feudal Patrol game at Fall-In, and thought this fellow looked suitably like a commander.  I planned to paint him in the same colors I used for the rest of my Elf Army to help him blend in.
  I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
      I started by painting the figure entirely with Ceramcoat "Black".  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with  Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of Citadel "Mithril Silver".
     Next, I painted the face and hands with Crafter's Acrylic "Flesh", and the tunic with Americana "Wedgewood Blue".  I then painted the cape with Crafter's Acrylic "Tropical Blue", and the boots, scabbards, and belt with Americana "True Blue".  After that, I painted the shield with Reaper MSP Bones "Tropical Blue", and the back of the shield with Crafter's Acrylic "Navy Blue".
     I then painted the sword and the armor on the boots with  Americana "Zinc".  I also painted the grips of the sword and the dagger with Americana "Asphaltum". After that, I painted the decorations on the shield and the scabbard with Americana "Grey Sky".  I also used this color to do a simple border design on the bottom of the cape.   I also did his hair at this point with Americana "Bleached Sand".
        Next, I let everything dry for a while, and then gave the faces and hands a coat of  Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash.   When that was dry, I gave the clothing, scabbards, and shield, all a coat of Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.  Lastly, I gave his hair a coat of Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash.
     When the washes all were dry, I painted his eyes, and then highlighted his skin with an unnamed Reaper Sample paint I have.  After that, I highlighted his hair, first with the base "Bleached Sand", and then with some Americana "Snow White".
     Next, I highlighted his tunic with some of the base color "Wedgewood Blue" mixed with some Crafter's Acrylic "Dark Turquoise".   I then highlighted the cape with some of the base Crafter's Acrylic  "Tropical Blue" mixed with Crafter's Acrylic "Cool Blue". I also highlighted the shield with the Crafter's Acrylic "Tropical Blue".   After that, I highlighted his boots and scabbards with the Reaper MSP "Tropical Blue", and then used the "Snow White" to highlight the decoration on the shield, the cross stitching on the scabbard, and the border decoration on the cape.  I also did some piping on the tunic with the "Snow White". 
     I then moved on to the metallics, painting the sword and armor on the boots with the "Gunmetal Grey", and then doing highlights with the "Mithril Silver".   Lastly, I painted the base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote".

     I'm happy with how this turned out.  It's just a quick figure for gaming, but I think it ended up looking pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment