Monday, July 23, 2018

Fiara, Elf Heroine: Bones 3 Figure

     This past week I painted Fiara, Elf Heroine, from the Bones 3 Core Set, to be a new member of my Ghost Archipelago crew.  (I seem to lose a lot of crew on my expeditions! :-)   ) 
      I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking the parts in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  When dry, I glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue. I then placed the figure in my painting grip.
     I began by painting the face and hands with Crafter's Acrylic "Flesh", and then the pants with Crafter's Acrylic "Citrus Green".  Next, I painted the tunic with Crafter's Acrylic "Dark Turquoise", and then the belt, boots, and shoulder and forearm guards all with Americana "Terra Cotta".
     I then painted her hair with Crafter's Edition "Spice Brown", and then the grips on the sword with Folk Art "Teddy Bear Brown".  Next, I painted stripes on the pants with Apple Barrel "Yellow", and then painted the decorations on the coat, as well as the center of the stripes I had just painted, with Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow".  After that, I painted her sash with Crafter's Acrylic "Tropical Blue", and the sword blade with Americana "Zinc".
      Next, I went back and overpainted the sash with Folk Art Color Shift "Blue Flash".  After everything had time to dry, I gave her face and hands a wash of Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash.   When that wash was dry, I then gave a wash to he rest of her with Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash.  When the washes were dry, I painted her eyes, and highlighted her face.  I then highlighted her hair; using first, Americana "Sable Brown", then Folk Art "Butter Pecan", and lastly, some of the "Butter Pecan" mixed with "Americana "Bleached Sand".
      When, I was done with her face, hair and hands, I started work on her clothes.  First, I highlighted her pants using the base "Citrus Green"; and then highlighted the stripes, and the decorations on her tunic with the base "Daffodil Yellow".  I then highlighted her tunic with the base "Dark Turquoise", and then did lighter highlights on the jacket by mixing the "Dark Turquoise" with some Folk Art "Celadon Green".  Next, I highlighted all the leather: boots, armor, belts, forearm guards; all with a mix of Accent "Golden Oxide" and Ceramcoat "Maple Sugar Tan".  After that, I highlighted the sword grips with some of the "Sable Brown" I had used on the hair.  I then highlighted the sash, using a mix of the base "Blue Flash", and some Folk Art Pearl "Aqua Moire".     Next, I went back and went over the sword blade again with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey", and then highlighted it with Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver".   I then finished up by doing the beads in her hair with different metallics.
     Lastly, I painted the figure's integral base with the "Bittersweet Chocolate".
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".

     I'm generally happy with the figure, and I think her outfit turned out looking really nice; though in the end I'm a bit disappointed in her face, as she just kind of looks stunned or despondent, not heroic or pensive, or determined.  I don't know if that's the sculpt or just the way the paint fell, or both.

2 comments:

  1. Ennui seems like a perfectly suitable expression for an immortal elf, so it still works.

    ReplyDelete