Monday, April 12, 2021

Dreadmere Townsfolk Fisherman: Bones 4 Figure

   This past week I painted the "Fisherman" townsfolk figure from the Bones 4 Dreadmere Expansion.
   All I could see when I looked at this figure, was the Gorton's Fisherman, so I decided jut to embrace that image, and Googled some photos of him to get a clearer idea of how exactly he was dressed.
     I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then trimmed the figure's integral base a little, and glued the figure to a 1" plastic base with some superglue.  I then placed the figure in my painting grip.   
     I began by painting his face and arms with Reaper MSP "Suntan Flesh".  I then painted his outfit with Americana "Antique Gold", and his shoes with Reaper MSP "Turkey Brown".
     Next, I painted his belt and sheath with Reaper MSP "Shield Brown", and his fishing kreel with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige".  I then painted his side pouch with Americana "Terra Cotta", and the front pouch with Ceramcoat "Charcoal".  After that, I painted his gloves with Americana "Charcoal Grey", and the bottle with Americana "Leaf Green". I finished up his accessories by painting the rod with Americana "Sable Brown", and the reel and fish with Americana "Zinc".
     I then painted the fish with Folk Art Pearl "Aqua Moiré", and the reel with Folk Art Metallic "Gunmetal Grey". After that, I painted the fittings on the rod and the knife with Folk Art Metallic "Pure Gold".   
    I let everything dry for a while, and then I gave his skin and clothing a coat of Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash.  When that was dry, I gave his accessories a coat of Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash. Another drying period, and then I gave the front pouch and the fish a coat of "Nuln Oil" wash. 
     When all the washes were dry, I painted his eyes, and then highlighted his skin with Reaper MSP "Tanned Shadow and Reaper MSP "Tanned Skin".  Next, I painted his hair with the "Zinc", and then highlighted hit with Folk Art "Dove Grey".    After that, I highlighted his clothing with first Americana "Primary Yellow", and then Crafter's Acrylic "Bright Yellow".
     Next, I worked on highlighting all of the accessories.  First I highlighted his belt and sheath with Folk Art "Teddy Bear Brown", and then I did his fishing kreel with a mix of the base "Territorial Beige" and some Folk Art "Butter Pecan".  I then highlighted his side pouch with Reaper MSP "Hallowed Orange", and the front pouch with some of the "Zinc".  After that, I highlighted his gloves with a mix of the base  "Charcoal Grey" and some Apple Barrel "Rock Grey", and highlighted the bottle with some of the base "Leaf Green" and some Americana "Margarita" along with a little Americana "Snow White". I finished up by highlighting the rod with Reaper MSP "Olive Skin Highlight", and his shoes with the "Sable Brown". 
     I then highlighted the metal parts, using Deco Art Dazzling Metallics "Bright Brass" for the pole and knife fittings.   Lastly, I painted the figure's base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. I then used some white glue to glue some fine sand to the base.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with a coat of the "Charcoal Grey". When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with Americana "Mississippi Mud", and then with some of the "Rock Grey"; lastly I drybrushed it with a little Americana "Dove Grey".  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote".  When the "Dullcote" was dry, I went back and repainted the fish and bottle with a little Americana "DuraClear Gloss" varnish.   

 



     Well, I like how this guy turned out.  He doesn't quite look the part of a medieval fantasy character in the bright safety yellow, but it's such an iconic look for a fisherman maybe the anachronism doesn't matter. :)  

6 comments:

  1. Lol, what a great theme for a miniature. (which to be fair is sort of a weird miniature... is he saying how big the one that got away was, but is also laden with a ton of gear?)

    Maybe you could use him in a bunch of different eras as a time traveler, cursed to shift through time solving people's problems. (cursed by a magic fish of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really amazing mini! Love the pose and your choice of colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It's simultaneously cool looking and kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete