Monday, June 24, 2019

Female Efreeti: Bones 4 Fan Favorites Figure

     This past week I painted the Female Efreeti figure from the Bones 4 Fan Favorites Expansion set.  Since I did the Djinni, last week, I thought I should do her counterpart this week to complete the pair.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsed and dried it.  I then glued on the head on with Gorillas superglue.  Then, after cutting down the base a little, I glued the figure to a black-primed 1.25" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
     I began by painting the figure's armor with Ceramcoat "Black".  When dry, I drybrushed it with Ceramcoat "Bronze".
     Next, I painted the skin with Folk Art "Barnyard Red", and the loincloths with Crafter's Acrylic "Pure Pumpkin".  I then painted the sword grips with Reaper MSP HD "Umber Brown", the metal parts of the hilt with Accent "Mustard Seed", and the blades with Americana "Zinc"
     I then painted the metal on the sword hilts with the "Bronze", and the sword blades with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  I decided I didn't like the blades, and wanted to do something more unique with them, so when dry I repainted them with Folk Art Color Shift "Black Flash".    After that, I painted her fangs and the teeth on her necklace with Americanas "Fawn".   I also took this opportunity to carefully paint the areas of her hair that bordered her skin and armor with the "Black".  If I had it to do again, I should have painted the head/hair piece separately, as the hair is sculpted to really intermingle closely with her body.   
     Then , when everything had a chance to dry, I gave her skin and loincloths a wash with Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash.  When that was dry, I gave her armor and swords a wash with Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash. 
     When the washes were dry, I painted her eyes using Folk Art "Lemon Chiffon" for the "whites", and then painted "Black" pupils.  I then went back and painted the pupil centers with Folk Art Color Shift "Red Flash".   Next, I painted the lips, and afterwards highlighted the face and rest of the skin with a mix of the base "Barnyard Red" and varying degrees of Americana "Shading Flesh".  After that, I highlighted her teeth with Americana "Snow White", and the teeth on the necklace with Americana "Bleached Sand".  
     I then highlighted the loincloths with the base "Pure Pumpkin" with varying degrees of Americana "Tangerine" mixed in, and then mixed in a little of the "Lemon Chiffon" and did lighter highlights.  I wasn't happy with the splotchy way the "Reikland Fleshshade" had pooled in the loincloth creases, so I reapplied shadows using Crafter's Acrylic "Orange Spice".   After that, I painted the rest of her hair with the "Black".
     Next, I painted her claws with the "Orange Spice", and then added highlights with Ceramcoat "Raw Sienna".  I then drybrushed her hair with Apple Barrel "Apple Maroon", and then did lighter highlights with Reaper MSP "Holly Berry".  After that, I painted her horns with Americana "Charcoal Grey", and when they had dried for a while, I gave them a wash with the "Nuln Oil".  When the wash was dry, I drybrushed them with Americana "Mississippi Mud".  I then drybrushed the sword blades with Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver"; and afterwards highlighted the armor and sword hilts with Ceramcoat "14K Gold", followed with Ceramcoat "Wedding Gold".   Lastly, I painted the entire base with "Americana "Mississippi Mud".
       I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote".  I thought the eyes ended up looking too flat, so I went back and reapplied some of the "Red Flash",  and added highlight dots with the "Lemon Chiffon".





     I'm really happy with how she came out.  It was fun playing with a different kind of skin tone, and I think the red highlights in the hair was an experiment that ended up looking good.

Tune in Thursday for another bonus post!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, xredmenacex! I'm really enjoying the extra detail I can manage on these big figures. I'm going to be sacred to go back to a regular 28mm face now! :)

      Delete
  2. Your detailed step-by-steps have me wondering about how you switch paints when you are working on a figure: What's your system for storing paints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My craft paints are stored in a vertical spinning wire rack that I got a long time ago in a chain arts and crafts store. You can just get a slice of a view of it along the right edge of the third photo above. My mini specific paints are stored in dollar store nail polish holders.

      When I'm painting, I have a small box about 4"x4" and 2" tall, that sits off to the side, and I put the paints in it for a particular mini as I use them. So I pull a color from one of the racks, use it, and then set it in the temporary box. I may also grab a color or two again from the box if I find I need to use them again on the same mini. I then carry the small box up to where my computer is when I go to write up the painting article for the mini I just finished, and that helps me remember what particular colors I used.

      Now, while I try to be good about returning all the paints to their racks when I'm done. The truth is a lot of them end up being just set in my work space, so I often find myself squeezed into a little area 6"x6" to paint! :P

      I hope this helps answer your question.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, that helps. As someone who uses mostly craft paints, I need to find a spinning rack to hold all the bottles.

      Delete
    3. Glad I could help. This one on Amazon is very similar to what I have. Mine is a little taller I think. https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Storage-Collection-Paint-Revolving/dp/B00QJ65PVI/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=wire+paint+rack&qid=1561461610&s=gateway&sr=8-8

      Delete