Monday, February 20, 2017

Drys, Dryad: Bones II Figure

     This past week I painted the Drys, Dryad, figure from the Bones II, Sylvan Creatures set.  Since I was in kind of a Frostgrave frame of mind when I was thinking about painting her, I decided I would try to paint her up in winter colors, like a dryad that has been unexpectedly awoken from her Winter sleep and is not happy about it;  so I attempted to give her a pale and cold look.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
      I began by painting the tree with Americana "Bittersweet Chocolate", and then painted the dryad with Folk Art "Barn Wood".   I then painted her sword with Folk Art Teddy Bear Brown", and her hair with Folk Art "Gray Green".
      I then painted the leaves in her hair with Apple Barrel "Apple Maple Syrup".  Then, after everything had a while to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash using Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush.  When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the tree with Apple Barrel "Rock Grey".
     I then highlighted her skin with the base "Barn Wood", and then with the "Barn Wood" with a little "Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White" added to it.  After that, I painted her nipples with Americana "Mississippi Mud".   I then worked on highlighting her hair, first with Folk Art "Porcelain White", and then with Americana "Reindeer Moss Green".  I then did some detail highlights on the hair with the "Light Antique White".    Then I highlighted the leaves in her hair with Apple Barrel "Lemon Chiffon"and then I painted her eyes.
     I painted what I interpreted as rocks on the base with Americana "Zinc", and then painted what I thought was a skull, with Americana "Khaki".  While they dried, I worked on giving her sword a light drybrushing with Ceramcoat "Bronze".  I then went back and gave the rocks and skull a wash with Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.  Then, when the wash was dry, I highlighted the rocks with the "Rock Grey", and the skull with the "Light Antique White".  Lastly, I painted the areas of the base that were't the roots, rocks, or skull, with White.
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave her a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed her with Testor's Dullcote". When the Dullcote was dry, I went back and applied the a mix of snow flock, white paint, and white glue to some of the branches and the base.


     I'm really happy with how this figure turned out.  I think it has the cold, awoken-in-the-middle-of-winter look I wanted.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work! Hopefully the PCs will be able to calm her down before she charms the fighter and kills the lot of them for waking her up early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lasgun! Yeah, I think the party needs to bring her a big mug of hot coffee as way of appeasement! :)

      Delete